Solution to restore binary JCEF distributions

Having problems with building or using the JCEF Java binding? Ask your questions here.

Solution to restore binary JCEF distributions

Postby guus » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:31 am

About two weeks ago, I've commented on https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... t-37985153 - there, I've demo'd how binary distributions could be generated, and hopefully be offered again as downloads for the JCEF project. Matt, do you see any value in this approach? If so, I'd be happy to work on it further.
guus
Techie

Re: Solution to restore binary JCEF distributions

Postby magreenblatt » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:21 pm

Creating binaries that aren't directly useable in third-party projects probably doesn't benefit the community very much. I'm curious about what the most useful binary format would be. Is Maven the best/easiest option? Or are there others that should be considered?

Strictly from a build standpoint I have no objection to free services provided the builds can be trusted (e.g. the service requires login and build artifacts are associated with a trusted account that we link to from the JCEF project page).
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby guus » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:57 pm

Creating binaries that aren't directly useable in third-party projects probably doesn't benefit the community very much.

Why wouldn't the created binaries be usable in third-party projects? As long as the online services generate all five flavors and make those binaries available for download somewhere (ideally, the project website?) shouldn't that benefit pretty much everyone?

You mention Maven - I'd be very much in favor of making the same downloads also available as Maven artifacts (note that this does not require the binaries themselves to be different - Maven adds some XML metadata files), primarily because that's what I need for my personal project, but, more importantly, the Maven repository structure is used by other dependency providers that are commonly used in Java projects.

My initial thought was to separate concerns, and first focus on creating the binaries themselves, and possibly make them available again as simple downloads. Later, I was planning on working on making those binaries available via dependency management tooling (like Maven). We can take them on at the some time though, if you prefer.
guus
Techie

Postby magreenblatt » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:23 pm

The existing "binary distribution" for JCEF is more accurately a sample application in the way that it's structured. My understanding from comments is that a different structure (like Maven) would be more useable/pluggable for third-party applications. If we're going to provide binary builds then I think it should be something documented and organized to maximize useability. We can then provide a sample application or project that uses this distribution similar to how https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/cef-project demonatrates CEF recommended usage.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby guus » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:09 pm

Understood. That makes sense. As my end goal is to use JCEF in a Maven project, it'd be easy for me to create an example project that demo's the integration.

I'd suggest using a third-party, but well established Maven repository, if you do want to go down the Maven route. You could host your own repository, but your users will typically prefer a well-established, trusted source when they download their dependencies. There are various ways of uploading Maven artifacts to a repository - I can help out there, if you want.

Most dependency management tools, Maven is no exception there, expect projects to use semantic versioning. There are some ways around that, but if possible, I'd suggest to avoid those workarounds. I don't think JCEF uses any versioning, does it? Any thoughts there?
guus
Techie

Postby magreenblatt » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:05 pm

JCEF can use a versioning system similar to CEF: https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... e-branches
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby guus » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:55 am

I am here to report some progress! The builds that are automatically generated by AppVeyor now produce binaries, from which the test application executed. See https://ci.appveyor.com/project/guusdk/java-cef-build (click on one of the jobs, and select the 'artifacts' tab).

Note that these builds are based on my fork of the code, that has the changes applied as defined in https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... quests/12/

Could you verify that these distributions are complete?
guus
Techie

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:37 am

I only checked the win32 package but it looks correct. We need to add more DLLs to the make_distrib.bat script -- compare to the DLLs included with the sample application from http://opensource.spotify.com/cefbuilds/index.html
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby guus » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:19 am

Wait - what? There *are* binary distributions? I've started all this because I was under the impression that there were none!
guus
Techie

Postby guus » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:23 am

Ah, that's non-Java CEF. :)
guus
Techie

Next

Return to JCEF Forum