Crash when mousing over an image

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Re: Crash when mousing over an image

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:51 pm

I've tested this a bit and I'm not getting a crash on Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit with the current CEF3 trunk. Can you post a URL and instructions that reproduce the crash for you?

This is how to use gdb:
Code: Select all
$ gdb --args ./out/Debug/cefclient --off-screen-rendering-enabled
GNU gdb (Ubuntu/Linaro 7.4-2012.04-0ubuntu2) 7.4-2012.04
Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://bugs.launchpad.net/gdb-linaro/>...
Reading symbols from /home/marshall/code/chromium/src/out/Debug/cefclient...done.
(gdb) break main
Breakpoint 1 at 0x431dc4: file ../../cef/tests/cefclient/cefclient_gtk.cpp, line 262.
(gdb) r
Starting program: /home/marshall/code/chromium/src/out/Debug/cefclient --off-screen-rendering-enabled
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".

Breakpoint 1, main (argc=2, argv=0x7fffffffe1c8) at ../../cef/tests/cefclient/cefclient_gtk.cpp:262
262     CefMainArgs main_args(argc, argv);
(gdb) break gdk_x_error
Breakpoint 2 at 0x7fffec9f6670: file /build/buildd/gtk+2.0-2.24.10/gdk/x11/gdkmain-x11.c, line 458.
(gdb) c
Continuing.

If it crashes use the 'bt' command to output the stack trace.

Adding the --sync option triggers a bug similar to https://code.google.com/p/chromiumembed ... ail?id=620. I'm not sure how to fix that yet.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby jeaye » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:56 pm

I think you missed my last post, where I included the gdb backtrace. As far as instructions on how to duplicate: it's 100% reproducible. Simply start the app (cefclient built in debug) and move the mouse around and it'll crash.

EDIT: Here's a video of the effect. Notice I'm pressing no keys in the window, I'm only moving the mouse around. The Google image is flashing, and each of those flashes in an assertion failure that shows up in my log (such as what I'd pasted to you). As soon as I mouse over the image, or shortly thereafter, the application terminates.
Video:
http://arrownext.com/upload/data/out.ogv
jeaye
Techie

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:11 pm

Looks like https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issu ... ?id=257479 based on your stack trace. Does it crash in release build?
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby jeaye » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:20 pm

It does happen in release build (just tested). Also, see my edit for a video of the effect.

EDIT: I'll note that it appears the assertion failure you've linked to does match to the one I'm seeing, but that they are different from the actual mouse cursor crash. This is purely speculation, but the application does not crash when those assertion failures happen, it just causes the screen to reload. What actually crashes the application is when I mouse over an image with the cursor.
jeaye
Techie

Postby jeaye » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:17 pm

Verified this happens as far back as 3.1547.1406_linux for me (I haven't tested any further back).
jeaye
Techie

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:35 pm

The screen reload is the render process crashing and being reloaded.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby jeaye » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:56 pm

magreenblatt wrote:The screen reload is the render process crashing and being reloaded.

Right. That happens regardless of mouse movement though. The application will live forever, constantly reloading the screen if I don't move the mouse over an image. (So there are two problems here)
jeaye
Techie

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:06 pm

Yes. If you are only experiencing the render process crash with google.com it's likely their current doodle causing it. It's crashing on other platforms as well. You can pass --url= on the command-line to load a different url.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby jeaye » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:12 pm

magreenblatt wrote:Yes. If you are only experiencing the render process crash with google.com it's likely their current doodle causing it. It's crashing on other platforms as well. You can pass --url= on the command-line to load a different url.

Unfortunately, that's not the case. If you look back at my original post, I mentioned this is happening on multiple websites (every one I've tried, actually). Including Google, DuckDuckGo, and Github.
jeaye
Techie

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:39 pm

Right, but we've already agreed that there are likely two separate crashes. Does the frameBytesCleared crash occur on multiple pages? Try launching cefclient with some url other than google.com.

Is frameBytesCleared the mouseover crash? If not, I'm seeking the call stack for the mouseover crash, and whether you can provide specific instructions for reproducing the mouseover crash. I have been unable to reproduce the mouseover crash in my testing so far -- for example, it does not reproduce with the transparency example in cefclient which has mouseover effects.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum