CEF3 Choppy Fonts in Off-Screen

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

CEF3 Choppy Fonts in Off-Screen

Postby OrfeasZ » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:20 am

I just recently started using CEF3 for one of my projects, by basically leveraging the off-screen capabilities and then rendering using D3D11.
However, I appear to be having a problem where most fonts are really 'choppy', especially when applied CSS properties like -webkit-transform.

Initially, I thought it was a problem with my rendering pipeling, however I launched cefclient with the --off-screen-rendering-enabled flag, and I got the exact same result.
Other elements, like images and containers, don't seem to be affected so much, even though there's still some visible distortion.

To demonstrate what I am talking about, here's a screenshot of how it looks in non off-screen mode:

And how it looks in off-screen mode:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
OrfeasZ

Re: CEF3 Choppy Fonts in Off-Screen

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:07 am

Off-screen rendering does not support hardware acceleration and consequently does not support 3D CSS. Try creating the off-screen browser without transparency to see if that resolves the font issue.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby OrfeasZ » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:03 pm

magreenblatt wrote:Off-screen rendering does not support hardware acceleration and consequently does not support 3D CSS. Try creating the off-screen browser without transparency to see if that resolves the font issue.

Thanks for your reply magreenblatt, however as I previously noted, the result is the same both when 'manually' rendering the buffer from the OnPaint calls, and when using the actual cefclient (which is what is depicted in those screenshots).

In any case, I tried setting the transparency to disable, but it didn't actually prove of any help.
OrfeasZ

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:46 pm

What CEF3 version and what OS?
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby OrfeasZ » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:51 pm

CEF 3.1768.1591 on Windows 8.1.
I also tested this on Windows 7 with no visible difference.
OrfeasZ

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:54 pm

Does the problem occur in cefclient without off-screen rendering enabled? If so, does it also occur in Chrome?
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby OrfeasZ » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:07 pm

The first screenshot is on cefclient without off-screen rendering enabled (also looks like this on regular chrome).
Second screenshot is on cefclient with off-screen rendering enabled.

- Edit -

I turned hw acceleration off in vanilla chrome to see how it would look like, and even though 3d transforms don't exactly work (like you stated), it's still way smoother.

OrfeasZ

Postby BenjiSBRK » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:29 am

I'm experiencing the same issues, Has anyone found a solution to this ?

EDIT : from what I see, the latest builds of CEF have offscreen rendering working again, and it looks like the problem is fixed. Since I'm still using an old build, would there be much code to change to use the latest build ? (besides changing the class names, that apparently dropped the "Cef" prefix)
BenjiSBRK
Techie

Postby magreenblatt » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:02 pm

BenjiSBRK wrote:Since I'm still using an old build, would there be much code to change to use the latest build ? (besides changing the class names, that apparently dropped the "Cef" prefix)

That depends on the OS and how old the build you're currently using is. No prefixes have been removed from the C/C++ API.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Return to Support Forum