Inconsistency between Visual Studio project files and gyp

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Inconsistency between Visual Studio project files and gyp

Postby jpilla » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:37 am

Hello,

I'm getting ~740 unresolved externals when creating ..\build\Debug\lib\libcef.dll and object ..\build\Debug\lib\libcef.exp, such as:

5>libcef_static.lib(context.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl content::InitializeSandboxInfo(struct sandbox::SandboxInterfaceInfo *)" (?InitializeSandboxInfo@content@@YAXPAUSandboxInterfaceInfo@sandbox@@@Z) referenced in function "int __cdecl CefExecuteProcess(class CefMainArgs const &,class CefRefPtr<class CefApp>,void *)" (?CefExecuteProcess@@YAHABVCefMainArgs@@V?$CefRefPtr@VCefApp@@@@PAX@Z)
5>libcef_static.lib(context.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: static class content::ContentMainRunner * __cdecl content::ContentMainRunner::Create(void)" (?Create@ContentMainRunner@content@@SAPAV12@XZ) referenced in function "public: bool __thiscall CefContext::Initialize(class CefMainArgs const &,class CefStructBase<struct CefSettingsTraits> const &,class CefRefPtr<class CefApp>,void *)" (?Initialize@CefContext@@QAE_NABVCefMainArgs@@ABV?$CefStructBase@UCefSettingsTraits@@@@V?$CefRefPtr@VCefApp@@@@PAX@Z)

After noticing that libcef_static.lib tries to statically link against content_app_both.vcxproj, I searched build\Debug\obj\content_app_both and build\Debug\ for content_app_both.lib, which wasn't found. I then looked at content_app_both.vcxproj, and found:

<PropertyGroup Label="Configuration">
<CharacterSet>Unicode</CharacterSet>
<ConfigurationType>Utility</ConfigurationType>
</PropertyGroup>

This differs from content\content.gyp, which specifies:

{
'target_name': 'content_app_both',
'type': 'static_library',
'variables': { 'enable_wexit_time_destructors': 1, },
'includes': [
'content_app.gypi',
],
'dependencies': [
'content_common',
],
},

content_app_both.vcxproj should have a configuration type of static_library after cef_create_projects.bat is run. However, it persists as utility. After manually editing content_app_both.vcxproj to produce a static library and individually building that project, content_app_both.lib did indeed appear in build\Debug. However, when trying to build the rest of cef.sln, the same linker errors showed up. I also tried deleting the content_app_both.vcxproj file and attempted to regenerate it with cef_create_projects.bat, but the content_app_both.vcxproj file that the script generated kept utility as its configuration type.

Has anyone else run into this issue before and have an idea how to fix it?

EDIT: I am using 1750 branch, revision 1601, and trying to build with Visual Studio 2010.
jpilla

Re: Inconsistency between Visual Studio project files and gy

Postby magreenblatt » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:44 pm

Do you have any custom gyp defines or a user gypi file?
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby magreenblatt » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:46 pm

jpilla wrote:EDIT: I am using 1750 branch, revision 1601, and trying to build with Visual Studio 2010.

VS2010 is not tested with 1750 branch (though it should work), so that may be part of your problem.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby magreenblatt » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:48 pm

magreenblatt wrote:
jpilla wrote:EDIT: I am using 1750 branch, revision 1601, and trying to build with Visual Studio 2010.

VS2010 is not tested with 1750 branch (though it should work), so that may be part of your problem.

Actually, I take that back. I have a builder that's building 1750 branch with VS2010 and it works.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby jpilla » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:54 pm

No, all files are straight from the branch revision.

FWIW, one of our team members has successfully built CEF3 branch 1750 revision 1601 with VS2010. The content_app_both.vcxproj generated by his content.gyp specifies a static library configuration type consistent with the gyp. Another teammate of mine is experiencing the same issues I'm experiencing with 1750:1601 on VS2010.

Thanks for getting in touch!
jpilla

Return to Support Forum