How to use own framework

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

How to use own framework

Postby chrislux » Wed May 21, 2014 4:56 am

Hi,

I have question regarding building the CEF source code (for ARM Linux).

After downloading the depot_tools and chromium source code as well as the CEF source code, I switched to the cef directory as pointed out in the https://code.google.com/p/chromiumembedded/wiki/BranchesAndBuilding wiki/Manual Building.
Code: Select all
src/cef/

and executed the
Code: Select all
./cef_create_projects.sh

shell script. However, I got immediately an error that pkg-config tool could not find GTK+ etc. Which makes sense because I didn't install them, we do not want use GTK+, instead we want take advantage of our own lightweight libraries, for drawing etc.
Is this easily feasible?

Secondly, I didn’t find a CEF dependencies description. Are those the same as chromium depends on? Last but not least, even when I install GTK+ it wouldn’t help, because the target device is an arm Linux based embedded device which has no X-Server installed instead we use the Linux framebuffer device to display whatever we want.

So I was just wondering, if we could get rid of the GTK+ dependencies? I read in the wiki that CEF supports off-screen rendering which is exactly what we need. I have also played around with WebKit?, but it seems to be lifelong task at least for one alone with average programming skills. :ugeek:

I have also some general question:
    When building CEF from source it will also build Chromium/WebKit right?
    Is there some general description on how to use CEF along with his own drawing framework?

Any info, help would be appreciated.

best regards, Christian
chrislux

Re: How to use own framework

Postby magreenblatt » Wed May 21, 2014 8:47 am

GTK+ is currently required for CEF and Chromium on desktop Linux. Take a look at ozone and content_shell for your use case: http://www.chromium.org/developers/desi ... ents/ozone.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby Czarek » Wed May 21, 2014 10:04 am

If I understand correctly, according to this issue GTK has already been replaced with Aura on Linux. It was marked as fixed a few days ago.
https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issu ... ?id=297026
Maintainer of the CEF Python, PHP Desktop and CEF C API projects. My LinkedIn.
Czarek
Virtuoso

Postby chrislux » Wed May 21, 2014 10:14 am

Czarek wrote:If I understand correctly, according to this issue GTK has already been replaced with Aura on Linux. It was marked as fixed a few days ago.

Well, so why do I get than a configure error if the GTK port has been removed?

I'm on the trunk branch, so there shouldn't be anymore GTK+ dependencies, shouldn't there?

Thanks, Christian
chrislux

Postby magreenblatt » Wed May 21, 2014 10:47 am

Czarek wrote:If I understand correctly, according to this issue GTK has already been replaced with Aura on Linux. It was marked as fixed a few days ago.

Chrome still uses GTK+ with Aura on desktop Linux for various theme-related purposes (see chrome/browser/ui/libgtk2ui). Not sure about content_shell.

chrislux wrote:Well, so why do I get than a configure error if the GTK port has been removed? I'm on the trunk branch, so there shouldn't be anymore GTK+ dependencies, shouldn't there?

Are you talking about CEF trunk or Chromium trunk? CEF is not yet using Chromium trunk with GTK+ removed.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby chrislux » Wed May 21, 2014 12:59 pm

magreenblatt wrote:Are you talking about CEF trunk or Chromium trunk? CEF is not yet using Chromium trunk with GTK+ removed.

I followed the Manual Download instruction on https://code.google.com/p/chromiumembedded/wiki/BranchesAndBuilding, so I'm on CEF trunk and Chromium trunk.
Ok than I will have to wait until CEF has moved to the chrome trunk version without GTK+ dependencies.
But I will definitly look into the Ozone stuff too, maybe this will work.

Do you know if Aura will depend on X11 on Linux?

Thank you, Christian
chrislux

Postby magreenblatt » Wed May 21, 2014 1:15 pm

chrislux wrote:Do you know if Aura will depend on X11 on Linux?

Aura needs some underlying window manager on desktop Linux. Depending on the platform that might be X11, Wayland, Mir, etc. Ozone is the layer at which Chromium can move between window managers (or use something other than a window manager).
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby chrislux » Wed May 21, 2014 1:29 pm

Thank you for the info this helped me alot. :idea:
chrislux

Postby prafulbhoyar » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:57 am

Is Aura the only option to have the CEF on embedded linux ?

I am planning to use off screen rendering for rendering the web page. This does not use GTK, but there are quite a few places in Chromium that GTK is used.

what is a good way to move forward on this direction ? Can I only remove selected files that use GTK without affecting the off screen rendering souce path.
prafulbhoyar

Postby cameral » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:03 pm

Hi Chrislux,

Did you build the CEF source code without GTK+ successfully on ARM Linux? I encountered the same problem as yours now. I would be much appreciated if you can provide some advice and info of your porting experience.

Thanks,
Cameral
cameral

Next

Return to Support Forum