OSR Memory Leak (WebCoreNode)

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

OSR Memory Leak (WebCoreNode)

Postby abrunkhorst » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:42 am

I'm implementing an off screen rendering system using SDL and OpenGL and so far it's working great. The only hiccup that I've not been able to find a solution for is reported memory leaks on shutdown.

In Debug mode, the leak messages aren't always the same, but there is always a WebCoreNode in the list.

For example,

LEAK: 2 XMLHttpRequest
LEAK: 42 Resource
LEAK: 2108 WebCoreNode

I'm creating the browser via CefBrowserHost::CreateBrowserSync( ... ), then calling brower->GetHost()->CloseBrowser(true) on the instance from CreateBrowserSync. Is there anything else that I need to do or any other methods that I need to override to properly destroy the browser instance? I know it has something to do with CreateBrowserSync, as commenting it out removes the leak messages.

Is this problem related to this discussion? Where V8 purposely leaks memory.

I'll be happy to share more context on my code if needed.

Thanks!
abrunkhorst

Re: OSR Memory Leak (WebCoreNode)

Postby magreenblatt » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:16 am

What CEF version are you using? Blink/WebKit intentionally leaks objects during shutdown, so if you're not seeing memory usage issues while your application is running (like your application process using multi-GB of RAM after running for a day) then you probably don't have anything to worry about.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby abrunkhorst » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:59 pm

magreenblatt wrote:What CEF version are you using? Blink/WebKit intentionally leaks objects during shutdown, so if you're not seeing memory usage issues while your application is running (like your application process using multi-GB of RAM after running for a day) then you probably don't have anything to worry about.

I'm using revision 3.1916.1755.

The thing that I don't quite understand, is why Chromium would make a system to detect leaks when they purposely leave the leaks in the end. They could at least not register the memory that was purposely leaked if that's the intended behavior. I'm interested in a clean shutdown and seeing these messages while in Debug configuration is naturally painful to deal with, especially if it's something that's designed so that I have no control over. You know what I mean?

I'm using CEF as a solution for UI in game, and I'm not sure if I can deal with it "probably being ok".

By the way, thanks for the quick response and more so thank you so much for working so hard on this project. It's truly incredible how awesome this framework is and how active you are with it. Cheers!
abrunkhorst

Postby magreenblatt » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:10 pm

abrunkhorst wrote:I'm interested in a clean shutdown and seeing these messages while in Debug configuration is naturally painful to deal with, especially if it's something that's designed so that I have no control over. You know what I mean?

I know exactly what you mean, and it's one of the oldest CEF bug reports :) https://code.google.com/p/chromiumembed ... tail?id=15. Unfortunately since this is intentional shutdown behavior it's unlikely to change.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby abrunkhorst » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:18 pm

magreenblatt wrote:
abrunkhorst wrote:I'm interested in a clean shutdown and seeing these messages while in Debug configuration is naturally painful to deal with, especially if it's something that's designed so that I have no control over. You know what I mean?

I know exactly what you mean, and it's one of the oldest CEF bug reports :) https://code.google.com/p/chromiumembed ... tail?id=15. Unfortunately since this is intentional shutdown behavior it's unlikely to change.

Ah, I see. Well I guess I feel better about the situation knowing that I'm not the only one concerned :).

Thanks again!
abrunkhorst

Postby Baxter15 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:13 pm

Has there been any updates to this issue?
Baxter15
Techie

Return to Support Forum