Chromium is not embeddable on Mac OS X?

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Chromium is not embeddable on Mac OS X?

Postby ed123 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:17 am

Is my understanding correct that CEF is not supported on Mac OS X since there is no way you can embed it into your widget/application? I am talking about using CefDoMessageLoopWork function not CefRunMessageLoop. The latter is for creating a Chromium based application not embedding, while the former is not working (produces a crash when application exits) and it seems not going to work any sooner by looking at how long this issue is there and how much no one cares.

So, can we assume that Chromium is not embeddable on Mac OS and thus should we warn the developers who are considering to use it in their application, so they don't waste their time looking for solutions, which currently do not exist? It would be honest and respectful, while claiming that CEF is embeddable on Mac OS X is not consistent with the reality and produces a lot of frustration.

Here is the link that describes the issue viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11922
ed123

Re: Chromium is not embeddable on Mac OS X?

Postby magreenblatt » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:46 am

Forum posts are all well and good but work is done based on the issue tracker. It would be helpful if someone added a bug for the CefDoMessageLoopWork issue. CEF is an open source project and patches are welcome.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby ed123 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:47 am

There is a discussion i am having on Chromium message board https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.or ... CRorCFigZ8

The bottom line is that CEF is not considered one of a target solutions by Chromium developers, thus support is given only if someone from Chromium development group has time and desire to help CEF.
ed123

Postby ed123 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:51 am

magreenblatt wrote:Forum posts are all well and good but work is done based on the issue tracker. It would be helpful if someone added a bug for the CefDoMessageLoopWork issue. CEF is an open source project and patches are welcome.

From the stack trace the CefDoMessageLoopWork issue cannot be fixed from CEF, but lies within the Chromium code. It's either CEF developers patch the Chromium code, which means a code fork, or we wait until Chromium developers pay attention to CefDoMessageLoopWork issue, which sure might happen some day.
ed123

Postby magreenblatt » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:58 pm

CEF has the capability to patch Chromium code if necessary. If someone solves the CefDoMessageLoopWork problem I will consider it for inclusion in CEF.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby teknogrebo » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:51 am

I'm slightly confused by all the answers to this question. I have CEF embedded in my OSX game - not without issues that I'm hoping to resolve, but it's there! I'm using CefDoMessageLoopWork with OSR and I did have an exit crash, but that was when I was getting it all set up and running in single process mode. When I switched to the multi-process model, the crash went away.
teknogrebo

Return to Support Forum