Provide an alternate transport mechanism

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Provide an alternate transport mechanism

Postby chowey » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:30 pm

How would you recommend using an alternate transport mechanism (not TCP) for a request? Specifically, I want to pipe the HTTP request to another process using Windows named pipes.

I've been looking through the source code of CEF and I'll admit I'm a bit lost. I can trace the network request back to some "net::" objects which would bring me somewhere into the bowels of Chromium itself. Is that where I would ultimately need to go for such a thing?

I can use a "CefRequestHandler" to create a custom "CefResourceHandler", and then do the IPC using named pipes at that point. But the data is not HTTP. It works best for me to send the request as HTTP, and receive the request as HTTP. Is there some other option here to parse the "CefRequest" by hand?
chowey
Techie

Re: Provide an alternate transport mechanism

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:34 am

If you implement an HTTP or WebSockets server in your separate process you can communicate with that process directly via JavaScript or use CefURLRequest from C++ code. Try googling "embedded http server" for some ideas.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Re: Provide an alternate transport mechanism

Postby chowey » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:21 pm

I was deliberately trying to avoid network sockets since they were giving me firewall problems on my target deployment systems. Definitely that is the simpler way to go since it all just works out of the box.
chowey
Techie

Return to Support Forum