Question on release branch process

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Question on release branch process

Postby meflynn » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:34 pm

I have a question about the process of a release branch being officially released.

We would like to take advantage of chrome 37 features. The release branch 2062 was created in August but on the Release Notes page 1750 remains the latest released version of CEF.

This isn't meant to be a post about when will 2062 be officially released but rather a question about the release process and what is happening on a release branch between creation and official release.

With the creation of a release branch, does it only take bug fixes from that point or is there still active development going on?

The time between branch creation and official release what is happening on the branch and how can we track it? Do all cef tests pass at creation of a release branch or is the release branch being hardened so the tests will pass so the branch can be blessed as officially released?

For production software, is using 2062 a viable option right now or more risk than it's worth?

Thanks again for clarifications.
meflynn
Techie

Re: Question on release branch process

Postby magreenblatt » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:25 pm

See viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10567 #3. With the advent of http://cefbuilds.com you can download a new release build whenever you like. See SVN history for what has changed.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby meflynn » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:17 pm

Thanks marshall.

So I saw the FAQ and understand when a new release branch is created. But I'm still confused as to what the state of the branches are.

Currently on release notes it has 1750 as the latest released CEF version.

I then see that there is a 1916 branch and 2062 branch.

1916 does not appear to have been released (via release notes) and neither has 2062.

So what is the latest stable version of cef? still 1750 or one of the later branches? Are the release branches considered a stable version of cef? this topic : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11535&p=20476&hilit=release+notes#p20476 says that the release notes page is source of truth for the latest stable release.

So I guess my main point of confusion is when does a release branch become a stable release? or what is happening to a release branch until it is deemed the official stable release?
meflynn
Techie

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:27 pm

meflynn wrote:So what is the latest stable version of cef?

2062. If you're using off-screen rendering you might want to stick with 1750 or 1916 until some of these bugs are resolved: https://code.google.com/p/chromiumembed ... =label:OSR

meflynn wrote:So I guess my main point of confusion is when does a release branch become a stable release?

When the associated Chromium version reaches the stable channel as listed on http://omahaproxy.appspot.com/.

meflynn wrote:or what is happening to a release branch until it is deemed the official stable release?

The most recent CEF release branch (currently 2171) is under active development meaning that it gets both feature enhancements and bug fixes. The stable release branch (currently 2062) mostly only gets bug fixes. Older release branches are generally no longer developed.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby meflynn » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:57 pm

BOOM that's what I was looking for.

Thanks a lot marshall for the breakdown.
meflynn
Techie

Return to Support Forum