automate-git.py v8_use_external_startup_data problem

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

automate-git.py v8_use_external_startup_data problem

Postby Teno » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:12 am

Hello all,
I want to build cef branch 1750 on a vm, in order to do that I'm using the following command line to run the automate-git.py script.
python automate-git.py --download-dir=C:\Users\User\Desktop\ --branch=1750 --verbose-build

I ran into all sort of problems but my latest one is the following error:

Code: Select all
Updating projects from gyp files...
gyp: name 'v8_use_external_startup_data' is not defined while evaluating condition 'v8_use_external_startup_data==1' in ..\v8\tools\gyp\v8.gyp
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "tools\gclient_hook.py", line 58, in <module>
    RunAction(cef_dir, gyper)
  File "C:\Users\User\Desktop\chromium\src\cef\tools\gclient_util.py", line 39, in RunAction
    command, cwd=dir, always=True)
  File "C:\Users\User\Desktop\depot_tools\gclient_utils.py", line 293, in CheckCallAndFilterAndHeader
    return CheckCallAndFilter(args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\User\Desktop\depot_tools\gclient_utils.py", line 538, in CheckCallAndFilter
    rv, args, kwargs.get('cwd', None), None, None)
  File "C:\Users\User\Desktop\depot_tools\subprocess2.py", line 37, in __init__
    super(CalledProcessError, self).__init__(returncode, cmd, output=stdout)
TypeError: __init__() got an unexpected keyword argument 'output'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "automate-git.py", line 875, in <module>
    run(path, cef_src_dir, depot_tools_dir)
  File "automate-git.py", line 74, in run
    shell=(sys.platform == 'win32'))
  File "C:\Users\User\Desktop\depot_tools\python276_bin\lib\subprocess.py", line
 540, in check_call
    raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['C:\\Users\\User\\Desktop\\chromium\\sr
c\\cef\\cef_create_projects.bat']' returned non-zero exit status 1

How do I fix the error?
Thanks in advance.
Teno

Re: automate-git.py v8_use_external_startup_data problem

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:41 am

It looks like your Chromium checkout is not at 1750 branch. Did the git checkout fail earlier in the console output?
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby Teno » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:28 am

magreenblatt wrote:It looks like your Chromium checkout is not at 1750 branch. Did the git checkout fail earlier in the console output?

While running the command? no.
Written below in the code section is the part of the output that shows the checked out revision of chromium:
It seems that the desired and current revision of chromium are the same.(258314)

I don't know if it is relevant but I do have warnings in the lines of:
WARNING:root:already patched  ../content/browser/web_contents/web_contents_view_aura.cc

But to me it seems that it is not a severe warning and simply implies that the file has already been checked out.

--> Download Directory: C:\Users\User\Desktop
--> Depot Tools Directory: C:\Users\User\Desktop\depot_tools
-------- Running "update_depot_tools.bat" in "C:\Users\User\Desktop\depot_tools"...
-------- Running "C:\Users\User\Desktop\depot_tools\git.bat config --get remote.origin.url" in "C:\Users\User\Desktop\cef_1750"...
--> CEF Branch: 1750
--> CEF URL: https://chromiumembedded@bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/branches-1750-cef3.git
--> CEF Source Directory: C:\Users\User\Desktop\cef_1750
-------- Running "C:\Users\User\Desktop\depot_tools\git.bat rev-parse HEAD" in "C:\Users\User\Desktop\cef_1750"...
-------- Running "C:\Users\User\Desktop\depot_tools\git.bat fetch" in "C:\Users\User\Desktop\cef_1750"...
-------- Running "C:\Users\User\Desktop\depot_tools\git.bat rev-parse origin/master" in "C:\Users\User\Desktop\cef_1750"...
--> CEF Current Checkout: 3a59993dd58801730672f7318c334e0779690e8d
-------- Running "C:\Users\User\Desktop\depot_tools\git.bat log --grep=^git-svn-id: -n 1 3a59993dd58801730672f7318c334e0779690e8d" in "C:\Users\User\Desktop\cef_1750"...
--> CEF Current Revision: 1805
--> CEF Desired Checkout: 3a59993dd58801730672f7318c334e0779690e8d (origin/master)
-------- Running "C:\Users\User\Desktop\depot_tools\git.bat log --grep=^git-svn-id: -n 1 3a59993dd58801730672f7318c334e0779690e8d" in "C:\Users\User\Desktop\cef_1750"...
--> CEF Desired Revision: 1805
--> CEF Output Directory: C:\Users\User\Desktop\out_1750
-------- Running "C:\Users\User\Desktop\depot_tools\git.bat config --get remote.origin.url" in "C:\Users\User\Desktop\chromium\src"...
--> Chromium URL: https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src.git
-------- Running "C:\Users\User\Desktop\depot_tools\git.bat rev-parse HEAD" in "C:\Users\User\Desktop\chromium\src"...
-------- Running "C:\Users\User\Desktop\depot_tools\git.bat rev-parse refs/tags/33.0.1750.170" in "C:\Users\User\Desktop\chromium\src"...
--> Chromium Current Checkout: 7120fdb1f88ea2e8b81641aee3fec6c8fa256541
-------- Running "C:\Users\User\Desktop\depot_tools\git.bat log --grep=^git-svn-id: -n 1 7120fdb1f88ea2e8b81641aee3fec6c8fa256541" in "C:\Users\User\Desktop\chromium\src"...
--> Chromium Current Revision: 258314
--> Chromium Desired Checkout: 7120fdb1f88ea2e8b81641aee3fec6c8fa256541 (refs/tags/33.0.1750.170)
-------- Running "C:\Users\User\Desktop\depot_tools\git.bat log --grep=^git-svn-id: -n 1 7120fdb1f88ea2e8b81641aee3fec6c8fa256541" in "C:\Users\User\Desktop\chromium\src"...
--> Chromium Desired Revision: 258314
-------- Running "C:\Users\User\Desktop\chromium\src\cef\cef_create_projects.bat" in "C:\Users\User\Desktop\chromium\src\cef"...
Teno

Postby magreenblatt » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:32 am

It's possible that your checkout of depot_tools is too new (depot_tools keeps updating and after a while can no longer build older branches successfully). Try checking out an older version of depot_tools:
cd C:\Users\User\Desktop\depot_tools
git checkout d5a1ab12

And then run automate-git.py with the additional `--no-update --force-build --force-distrib` command-line flags.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby Teno » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:58 am

magreenblatt wrote:It's possible that your checkout of depot_tools is too new (depot_tools keeps updating and after a while can no longer build older branches successfully). Try checking out an older version of depot_tools:
cd C:\Users\User\Desktop\depot_tools
git checkout d5a1ab12

And then run automate-git.py with the additional `--no-update --force-build --force-distrib` command-line flags.

I checked out the d5a1ab12 revision of depot_tools and then I ran the following command:
python automate-git.py --download-dir=C:\Users\User\Desktop\ --branch=1750 --verbose-build --no-update --force-build --force-distrib

I got the same error, "gyp: name 'v8_use_external_startup_data' is not defined...".
Do you think I should use the clean flags to start fresh?
I'm reluctant to do that since it took a long time for the code to be checked out the first time.(especially the WebKit folder)

btw thanks for your help so far.
I don't know what I would have done without this forum.
Teno

Postby magreenblatt » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:44 am

OK, next guess is that your v8/ subdirectory is not checked out to the correct revision. Try the following:
cd C:\Users\User\Desktop\chromium\src
rmdir /S /Q v8
gclient sync --reset --nohooks --with_branch_heads --jobs 16

If that succeeds then re-run `python automate-git.py --download-dir=C:\Users\User\Desktop\ --branch=1750 --verbose-build --no-update --force-build --force-distrib`.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby Teno » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:27 am

Okay now I'm getting some errors.

When running the 'gclient sync --reset --nohooks --with_branch_heads --jobs 16' command the following occurs:
Receive warning: .gclient file in parent directory C:\Users\User\Desktop\chromium might not be the file you want to use.

Then while it tries to sync the projects I get the same 4 warnings:
WARNING: subprocess '"git" "-c" "core.deltaBaseCacheLimit=512m" "clone" "--no-checkout" "--progress" "https://chromium.googlesource.com/external/sawbuck/syzygy/
binaries.git" "C:\Users\User\Desktop\chromium\src\third_party\syzygy\_gclient_binaries_dyazdx"' in C:\Users\User\Desktop\chromium failed; will retry after a short nap...

Then git seems to crash, I get 'Git for Windows has stopped working' message box.
When I click Close Program option in the dialog the script continues.

And then I get 4 fatal errors that say:
fatal: remote error: Git access forbidden

I should note that I set the HOME path variable to a valid directory and I followed the directions in:
https://www.googlesource.com/new-password
Teno

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:14 pm

Teno wrote:Then git seems to crash, I get 'Git for Windows has stopped working' message box.

You may have an old version of git installed on your system. Add "C:\Users\User\Desktop\depot_tools" to the beginning of your PATH so you use the git version supplied by Chromium.
Teno wrote:I should note that I set the HOME path variable to a valid directory and I followed the directions in:

Try undoing whatever you did here and then run again.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby Teno » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:35 am

magreenblatt wrote:
Teno wrote:Then git seems to crash, I get 'Git for Windows has stopped working' message box.

You may have an old version of git installed on your system. Add "C:\Users\User\Desktop\depot_tools" to the beginning of your PATH so you use the git version supplied by Chromium.
Teno wrote:I should note that I set the HOME path variable to a valid directory and I followed the directions in:

Try undoing whatever you did here and then run again.

My path system variable has the depot_tools path as a prefix.
I removed the HOME environment variable.

I ran the 'gclient sync --reset --nohooks --with_branch_heads --jobs 16' command.
git crashed again at around the same step as before.

It then started working on src/v8 folder.

After 4 minutes I got 4 errors in the line of:
[0:00:26] fatal: remote error:
[0:00:26]
[0:00:26] Invalid user name or password.
[0:00:26] Please generate a new password at:
[0:00:26] https://chromium.googlesource.com/new-password

I think the changes that I made to the HOME system variable are required so that the git bash will translate '~' to be the correct path.

Just for the fun of it I created a dump of the crash of git.
It seems it crashed due to a buffer overflow.

--version info:
gclient 0.7
git version 1.9.5.chromium.5
Teno

Postby magreenblatt » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:37 am

Try running commands from the Windows shell (cmd.exe) instead of git bash.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Next

Return to Support Forum