ResourceHandler vs Flash upload

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

ResourceHandler vs Flash upload

Postby tml » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:43 am

Hi,

In my current project, I'm sandboxing a complex webpage to be able to run within a CEF browser even without internet connection. The site has Flash components too, and I've recently noticed that when a user tried to upload files via one of those, the resource handler didn't fire at all as if there had been no request initiated when in reality there was. After some research, I found out that Flash probably uses a different mechanism for FileWrapper.upload() than for ordinary requests, but I'm still stuck on how I could catch (and mock) those requests before they reach the network. Are plugins allowed to establish network connections outside the browser?

Actually, I started reading up on NPAPI plugin architecture but it's a vast topic, so instead I'm hoping that someone here could point me to the right direction or at least help me fail fast with the intent.

FWIW, I'm using CEF3 2062.1930 with the NPAPI Flash 16.0.0.305.

PS. do I get it right that NPAPI as such will eventually be phased out while PPAPI Flash won't be supported in the near future? :S
tml
Techie

Re: ResourceHandler vs Flash upload

Postby magreenblatt » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:48 am

tml wrote:After some research, I found out that Flash probably uses a different mechanism for FileWrapper.upload() than for ordinary requests, but I'm still stuck on how I could catch (and mock) those requests before they reach the network. Are plugins allowed to establish network connections outside the browser?

The NPAPI version of Flash talks to the network directly. Those requests cannot be intercepted in CEF.

tml wrote:PS. do I get it right that NPAPI as such will eventually be phased out while PPAPI Flash won't be supported in the near future? :S

NPAPI support will likely be removed from Chromium some time this year. PPAPI Flash may be supported by CEF but individual companies will still need to pay Adobe for a license if they wish to distribute it. There is no timeline currently for adding PPAPI Flash support.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Return to Support Forum