Process registered fonts

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Process registered fonts

Postby tdolny » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:30 pm

After upgrading to CEF 3.2171.1979 from CEF3.1750.1738 I noticed the browser stopped using fonts registered with AddFontResourceEx Windows function by my root process in non private mode.
Is it an expected change in it's behaviour? Is it possible to make it use font registered that way again?

I'm using CEF 3.2171 and targeting Windows 8.
Chromium changed from ver. 33 to 39.
tdolny

Re: Process registered fonts

Postby magreenblatt » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:53 pm

tdolny wrote:the browser stopped using fonts registered with AddFontResourceEx Windows function

This has never been documented or intentionally supported behavior.

tdolny wrote:Is it an expected change in it's behaviour? Is it possible to make it use font registered that way again?

Chromium no longer uses GDI for font rendering which may be the cause of the behavior change. You should use web technologies like CSS font-face for loading custom fonts.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby tdolny » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:23 am

Thank you for your helpful response.
I've used disable-direct-write and disable-direct-write-for-ui switches to make it use GDI for fonts again which solved my problem for now and doesn't require modifying presented content.
tdolny

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:30 am

tdolny wrote:Thank you for your helpful response.
I've used disable-direct-write and disable-direct-write-for-ui switches to make it use GDI for fonts again which solved my problem for now and doesn't require modifying presented content.

Just be aware that GDI support will likely be removed from the source tree in upcoming versions and these flags will no longer work.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Return to Support Forum