[SOLVED] Build CEF with proprietary codecs support

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Re: [SOLVED] Build CEF with proprietary codecs support

Postby dareplyer » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:51 pm

sburke wrote:In my case, I was enabling proprietary codec support for WinForms. The WPF version may have a different set of files.

Thanks for the reply man.
Actually I just want dll and other related files with embedded ffmpeg. I can switch to windows forms too, no problem but just provide me the built in ffmpeg files or the running application without code so I can use it's libraries i.e. dlls and other related things. Because I had tried many a times but was not able to successfully build the codec i.e. ffmpeg.
Any help in this regard would be highly appreciated. :)
dareplyer

Postby themouseNZ » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:51 pm

Wonder if someone can point me in the right direction. I am trying to build CEF version 3.3464.1792.0 with codec support. I took me days to finally produce something thats works. I followed the instructions on https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... ckStart.md page. The libCEF.dll was very large and I dont need debugging (seemed to have a few mem leaks also) so I tried to build with 'ninja -C out\Release_GN_x86 cef' and the libCEF.dll was much smaller but when I tried it did not work it had lost the codec support that 'ninja -C out\Debug_GN_x86 cef' produced. Thank you

I built using the following :-

update.bat -

set CEF_USE_GN=1
set GN_DEFINES=is_official_build=true proprietary_codecs=true ffmpeg_branding=Chrome
set GN_ARGUMENTS=--ide=vs2017 --sln=cef --filters=//cef/*
python ..\automate\automate-git.py --download-dir=c:\code\chromium_git --depot-tools-dir=c:\code\depot_tools --no-distrib --no-build

create.bat -

set CEF_USE_GN=1
set GN_DEFINES=is_win_fastlink=true proprietary_codecs=true ffmpeg_branding=Chrome
set GYP_DEFINES=buildtype=offical
set GN_ARGUMENTS=--ide=vs2017 --sln=cef --filters=//cef/*
call cef_create_projects.bat
themouseNZ

Postby mpegsupport » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:55 pm

If CEF is executed on a Windows 10 machine why can't the code just use the built in decoders located in msmpeg2vdec.dll? These Microsoft codecs exposed through public API can be used by any app running on the Windows. So why do we need to go through this tedious process of rebuilding CEF or CEFSharp to make this make?
mpegsupport

Postby magreenblatt » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:10 pm

mpegsupport wrote:If CEF is executed on a Windows 10 machine why can't the code just use the built in decoders located in msmpeg2vdec.dll? These Microsoft codecs exposed through public API can be used by any app running on the Windows. So why do we need to go through this tedious process of rebuilding CEF or CEFSharp to make this make?

Unfortunately that support doesn't exist. You are welcome to implement it and submit a PR to Chromium.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby ganesh619 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:08 am

I was having the same problem, the issue is in the installation of visual studio 17. You have to download the community version of the visual studio. python 2.7 is must, Windows SDK version, then run gclient runhooks
ganesh619

Postby sburke » Mon May 18, 2020 3:50 pm

After upgrading to Chromium 79 and compiling with proprietary codecs enabled, we are finding that some MP4 videos play with a colored bar at the bottom of the browser. Usually it is green but sometimes it is multicolored, depending on the video. This does not happen consistently and seems to be related to the environment, and even then it's not consistent. I.e., some videos will play fine while others will exhibit the behavior but only on specific machines. Most machines play all videos just fine without the artifact at the bottom of the page. This seems to be related to GPU, drivers, or some other environmental issue. Thus far we've only seen it happen on machines running Windows 8.1 but not all 8.1 machines behave this way. Has anybody else run into this?

Update 06/12/20: we got past the color bar by upgrading to 81. Evidently something was fixed along the way. I don't know what that "something" might be.
sburke
Mentor

Postby VGZDesign » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:59 am

sburke wrote:For anybody still in need of the CefSharp info, following are the files to overlay after successfully compiling a version of Chromium with H.264 support:

cef.pak
cef_100_percent.pak
cef_200_percent.pak
cef_extensions.pak
chrome_elf.dll
d3dcompiler_43.dll
d3dcompiler_47.dll
devtools_resources.pak
icudtl.dat
libcef.dll
libEGL.dll
libGLESv2.dll
natives_blob.bin
widevinecdmadapter.dll

In my case, I also had to overlay the files in the locales directory with debug versions. Otherwise, some sites render with a font that only about 1 pixel high.

I am currently trying to build a cefsharp winforms with proprietary codec. I successfully built a 83 version with codecs enabled (tried with cefclient.exe and it works !).
But now i'm trying to include cef dlls (with proprietary codecs) on cefsharp and it doesn't work (Cef::initialize() failed error on ChromiumWebBrowser constructor).

I also tried to copy your following file list but it also doesn't work.. Can you help me please ? :)
VGZDesign

Postby akhudairy » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:07 am

VGZDesign wrote:
sburke wrote:For anybody still in need of the CefSharp info, following are the files to overlay after successfully compiling a version of Chromium with H.264 support:

cef.pak
cef_100_percent.pak
cef_200_percent.pak
cef_extensions.pak
chrome_elf.dll
d3dcompiler_43.dll
d3dcompiler_47.dll
devtools_resources.pak
icudtl.dat
libcef.dll
libEGL.dll
libGLESv2.dll
natives_blob.bin
widevinecdmadapter.dll

In my case, I also had to overlay the files in the locales directory with debug versions. Otherwise, some sites render with a font that only about 1 pixel high.

I am currently trying to build a cefsharp winforms with proprietary codec. I successfully built a 83 version with codecs enabled (tried with cefclient.exe and it works !).
But now i'm trying to include cef dlls (with proprietary codecs) on cefsharp and it doesn't work (Cef::initialize() failed error on ChromiumWebBrowser constructor).

I also tried to copy your following file list but it also doesn't work.. Can you help me please ? :)

Hi I built version 84 (4147), using CEF buget version 84.4.1 and all is working fine now for me with mp4 support. I think you need to provide some more details on the error so that someone can help you.
akhudairy
Techie

Postby akhudairy » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:13 am

cef.pak
cef_100_percent.pak
cef_200_percent.pak
cef_extensions.pak
chrome_elf.dll
d3dcompiler_43.dll
d3dcompiler_47.dll
devtools_resources.pak
icudtl.dat
libcef.dll
libEGL.dll
libGLESv2.dll
natives_blob.bin
widevinecdmadapter.dll

I copied a little bit different files. So to your list I added
locales folder
swiftshader folder
v8_context_snapshot.bin

Some files on your list I didn't copy, but i will try to add them and see if all still work
d3dcompiler_43.dll
natives_blob.bin
widevinecdmadapter.dll
akhudairy
Techie

Postby goodwin74 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:08 pm

akhudairy wrote:Hi I built version 84 (4147), using CEF buget version 84.4.1 and all is working fine now for me with mp4 support. I think you need to provide some more details on the error so that someone can help you.

I also get errors if I copy all these files.
Code: Select all
Error: System.InvalidOperationException: 'Cef :: Initialize () failed'

on the object creation line (ChromiumWebBrowser br = new ChromiumWebBrowser ("");)

Maybe someone knows how to solve this problem?
The version of the already installed package with NuGet is 86.0.24
The version from where I'm copying the files (compiled by CEF) is cef_binary_87.1.11 + g8bb7705 + chromium-87.0.4280.66
goodwin74

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum