CEF without ffmpeg

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

CEF without ffmpeg

Postby akjana » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:36 pm

Hi

With Cef 45, FFMPEG is now statically compiled. We used to avoid FFMPEG all together to avoid legal issues. As i understand Cefbuilds.com contains the build with ffmpeg but without proprietary codecs.
But we would anyways like to avoid it all together. I found that one can build cef with ffmpeg_component = shared_library to achieve this.
The question is if there is anyone else already doing so and wouldn't mind sharing the binaries and symbols ?

It would be great if cefbuilds hosted such flavors assuming there were enough consumers who would benefit from it.

Thank you
akjana
Techie

Re: CEF without ffmpeg

Postby magreenblatt » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:00 pm

What legal issues?
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby jjacobson » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:55 am

I'm assuming the issue would be with this:
https://www.ffmpeg.org/legal.html : "FFmpeg incorporates several optional parts and optimizations that are covered by the GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2 or later. If those parts get used the GPL applies to all of FFmpeg."
jjacobson

Postby magreenblatt » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:18 pm

Most Chromium-based products are built in the same way. If you're dynamically linking CEF (libcef.dll/so/dylib) and not enabling proprietary codecs then you should be fine.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby akjana » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:38 pm

Yes, pointing to those legal issues jjacobson pointed.

As i understand, the builds hosted at cefbuilds.com now statically compile/link ffmpeg into libcef as of Cef45. I am wondering if some party is already hosting builds where ffmpeg & libcef are dynamically linked without proprietary codecs ?
It would have been nice to share.
akjana
Techie

Postby magreenblatt » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:57 pm

Looking at Chromium's ffmpeg configuration you can see that it builds without GPL, GPLv3 and NONFREE extensions: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/code ... um&type=cs

You should therefore be fine using the default Chromium/CEF build with ffmpeg statically linked.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby amaitland » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:12 pm

akjana wrote:As i understand, the builds hosted at cefbuilds.com now statically compile/link ffmpeg into libcef as of Cef45. I am wondering if some party is already hosting builds where ffmpeg & libcef are dynamically linked without proprietary codecs ?
It would have been nice to share.

I'd be very surprised if the demand was there to warranty building a dynamically linked version. If you were to build a version with `Proprietary codecs` I can see there being a demand for that, there's always someone asking why it doesn't come enabled by default.
Maintainer of the CefSharp project.
amaitland
Virtuoso

Postby akjana » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:12 pm

Thanks very much for the info on the ffmpeg build flags. We may be okay using the default cef builds.

Yes i kind of realized there would be demand for support of the latest and the best features/modes vs restricted mode. I was trying to find if there are any others who fall into the same category as us.
akjana
Techie

Postby jiaojiao » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:24 pm

akjana wrote:Hi

With Cef 45, FFMPEG is now statically compiled. We used to avoid FFMPEG all together to avoid legal issues. As i understand Cefbuilds.com contains the build with ffmpeg but without proprietary codecs.
But we would anyways like to avoid it all together. I found that one can build cef with ffmpeg_component = shared_library to achieve this.
The question is if there is anyone else already doing so and wouldn't mind sharing the binaries and symbols ?

It would be great if cefbuilds hosted such flavors assuming there were enough consumers who would benefit from it.

Thank you

HI Akjana,

How did you solve the issue eventually? I am facing the same issue here. We try to remove ffmpeg from the build. Thanks.
jiaojiao
Techie

Postby akjana » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:19 pm

Sorry for the late reply.

We couldn't remove ffmpeg from the build completely as it has been changed to be an integral part of the build/browser.
But we disabled all codecs in ffmpeg config file per platform. the config is at https://cs.chromium.org/chromium/src/third_party/ffmpeg/chromium/config/Chromium/win/ia32/config.h?sq=package:chromium&dr
It is auto generated file but we didn't figure out how to auto gen it.
akjana
Techie

Next

Return to Support Forum