How to debug renderer process crash root cause?

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

How to debug renderer process crash root cause?

Postby theGoat » Thu May 19, 2016 9:19 am

I'm using CEF to display a single page application. After extended periods running (10-50 hours range) the CEF renderer processes crashes. FYI all results listed below are with CEF windows 32 version from cefbuilds.com

As a work around I started triggering a reload of the page in OnRenderProcessTerminated. But after upgrading to CEF 3.2623.1401.gb90a3be - Chromium 49.0.2623.110 that work around is not automatically triggered anymore. Now it seems like Windows shows a "your program has crashed" dialog. If the user clicks "close program" then the OnRenderProcessTerminated callback is fired and the page reloads. If the user fails to click "close program" in a timely fashion all available process memory is exhausted and the entire program crashes irrecoverably (memory is consumed by calls to ExecuteJavaScript on the main browser frame queuing up to infinity).

Ideally I'd like to prevent the renderer process crashes all together. But the ridiculously long time to trigger a crash (10-50 hours) makes debugging this difficult. Any hints for how to attack this?

As an alternative just getting the OnRenderProcessTerminated callback to automatically fire again would be great.
theGoat
Techie

Re: How to debug renderer process crash root cause?

Postby OpticFroggy » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:38 am

Hey, we're using CEF (through the CEFSharp wrapper) for a large kiosk based project.
We are experiencing exactly the same issue, I currently have 2 extra machines on my desk running constantly to try and help catch one of the times it does crash so we can debug it better.
Even the time it takes to crash is nearly identical for us, usually over a weekend if one of our office kiosks is left it will have crashed by the Monday morning.

If you or anyone else have any clues where to start with this one, or better yet a solution (wishful thinking ;)) then it would be greatly appreciated!

I'll report back if we have any success or developments on our end.
OpticFroggy

Postby theGoat » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:47 am

I just submitted issue #1929 that I believe is related to the renderer process crashes I've been experiencing.

OpticFroggy if you are displaying text with 2d canvas via JavaScript in your kiosk project, this might be your issue.
theGoat
Techie

Postby rwstoneback » Fri May 12, 2017 9:33 am

Does anyone have any more information on why a "program has crashed" dialog is presented now when the Render process crashes? Is there a way to disable that and allow OnRenderProcessTerminated to get called without user interaction?
rwstoneback
Techie

Postby HarmlessDave » Fri May 12, 2017 11:23 am

An idea for a hack would be to exit and restart the application every N hours (1-9). The exit could be automated in the program, but before closing the code could run a helper app or script to trigger the restart.
HarmlessDave
Expert

Postby rwstoneback » Fri May 12, 2017 11:28 am

Yea, we could do that (even just restarting the renderer on a schedule). Just curious why the dialog is now showing.
rwstoneback
Techie

Return to Support Forum