Widevine Download

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Widevine Download

Postby graforlok22 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:37 am

Hi all,
I'm using CEF ( branch 2785 ) built with proprietary codec support and widevine enabled.
widevinecmd.dll and widevineadapter.dll are generated in Release\WidevineCdm\_platform_specific\win_x86

Running cefclient using Google Chrome's widevinecmdadapter.dll
Code: Select all
cefclient.exe --enable-widevine-cdm --cache-path=c:\temp\cache --register-pepper-plugins="C:\Users\{User}\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\WidevineCDM\1.4.8.903\_platform_specific\win_x86\widevinecdmadapter.dll;application/x-ppapi-widevine-cdm" 

and navigating to a website that uses widevine (e.g. Netflix) I'm able to view DRM protected content successfully

Running cefclient using generated widevinecmdadapter.dll
cefclient.exe --enable-widevine-cdm --cache-path=c:\temp\cache --register-pepper-plugins="WidevineCdm\_platform_specific\win_x86\widevinecdmadapter.dll;application/x-ppapi-widevine-cdm" 

DRM protected content is not played and I'm returned with unknown error, although Widevine is listed among the plugins.

As far as I know i cannot package widevinecdm.dll generated by Google Chrome within my application and I have to download it using the component updater
bu the download is never triggered. AppData\Local\CEF\User Data\WidevineCDM\ folder exists but is empty.

Running
cefclient.exe --enable-widevine-cdm --cache-path=c:\temp\cache

Results in the Widevine plugin not being listed/downloaded

Is there something I have to configure in the component updater in order to trigger the download?

Thank you for your time
graforlok22

Re: Widevine Download

Postby magreenblatt » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:54 pm

The only command-line flags you need are enable-widevine-cdm and cache-path. Make sure your local build of widevinecdm.dll is not next to the executable. It will be downloaded by the component updater after some delay (~5 minutes by default).
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby magreenblatt » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:33 pm

You also need to copy widevinecdmadapter.dll next to the exe. This is done for you automatically if you create and build using a binary distribution.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby graforlok22 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:22 am

I Run CEF with widevinecdmadapter.dll next to cefclient.exe and still no download is triggered (even after 2+ hours)
The plugin is not listed in http://tests/plugin_info either.

Is there any action that needs to be performed in order to trigger the download (e.g. visiting a page that requires the component) or it is just downloaded automatically?
Is there any way to verify that the component updater detects that widevine is missing / starts the download?
the Widevine component will be downloaded next to the executable or in AppData\Local\CEF\User Data\WidevineCDM\ ?

Thanks in advance
graforlok22

Return to Support Forum