Question about workflow when modifying CEF library

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Question about workflow when modifying CEF library

Postby Czarek » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:49 am

I am making changes to CEF sources and to rebuild I am running automate-git.py with the --force-build flag, and some other flags. I have a wrapper script named automate.py that does it and also applies CEF Python specific patches by modifying cef/patch/patch.py, among others. It doesn't rebuild Chromium. It only rebuilds libcef library and creates distribution directory. However when rebuilding libcef library it always recompiles all files. There are about 500 hundred of them and it takes a few minutes. So each time I make a small change, I rebuild it, wait about 2-3 minutes to get a C++ error in sources and then again rebuild it and a few minutes to see another error, and again rebuild... So I have a question in regards to that workflow, is there a better way? Is it possible to only recompile files that actually changed?
Maintainer of the CEF Python, PHP Desktop and CEF C API projects. My LinkedIn.
Czarek
Virtuoso

Re: Question about workflow when modifying CEF library

Postby magreenblatt » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:58 am

What files are you changing? If it's a header included by multiple files then that could explain the rebuild. Try running ninja manually if it's something like cef_version.h being regenerated.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby Czarek » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:17 am

Right now I make modifications in include/, libcef/browser/ and tests/cefclient/ directories. So I should enter chromium/src/cef/ directory and run "ninja cefclient" from there?

Updated.
Maintainer of the CEF Python, PHP Desktop and CEF C API projects. My LinkedIn.
Czarek
Virtuoso

Postby magreenblatt » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:35 am

magreenblatt
Site Admin

Return to Support Forum