prebuilt binary debug build configured for non-debug runtime

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

prebuilt binary debug build configured for non-debug runtime

Postby theGoat » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:17 pm

I just updated my project with the latest prebuilt binary distribution from http://opensource.spotify.com/cefbuilds/index.html

for the record the distribution I grabbed is: windows 32 10/08/2016 - CEF 3.2785.1483.g150a22a / Chromium 53.0.2785.116

I am surprised to see the debug versions of libcef.lib & cef_sandbox.lib were compiled against the standard Multi-threaded (/MT) runtime library instead of the Multi-threaded Debug (/MTd) library. Using cmake to generate visual studio projects for libcef_dll_wrapper, cefsimple & cefclient with cmake results in the same debug configuration (non-debug runtime). I would greatly prefer the debug build of my project to compile against the Multi-threaded Debug (/MTd) library.

Is this a real change? I'm hoping it was caused by a typo somewhere ;-)

If it is a real change can somebody point me to an explanation for why it happened?
theGoat
Techie

Re: prebuilt binary debug build configured for non-debug run

Postby amaitland » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:48 pm

Use the -DUSE_SANDBOX=Off cmake argument.

https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... t-30291615
Maintainer of the CefSharp project.
amaitland
Virtuoso

Postby theGoat » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:54 am

amaitland wrote:Use the -DUSE_SANDBOX=Off cmake argument.

https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... t-30291615

Thanks amaitland! That is exactly the info I was missing.

Next question. . . Is there a simple way to get cmake to generate a project with release config USE_SANDBOX=on and debug config USE_SANDBOX=off? Or is that a bad idea? I manually edited cmake's output to produce those configs and everything seems good. But maybe the differences between USE_SANDBOX=on/off make this setup useless once I get into actual debugging.
theGoat
Techie

Postby amaitland » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:47 pm

The generated VS project files should work just fine In release mode when you pass in -DUSE_SANDBOX=Off

What exactly are you seeing vs what are you expecting?
Maintainer of the CefSharp project.
amaitland
Virtuoso

Postby theGoat » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:12 am

amaitland wrote:The generated VS project files should work just fine In release mode when you pass in -DUSE_SANDBOX=Off

Sorry I was unclear. Of coarse the generated project works in release build with -DUSE_SANDBOX=Off. I ask about the hybrid case (release sandbox=on, debug sandbox=off) because I don't want to lose the benefits of using the sandbox in the release build, while at the same time allowing developers to switch to a static debug build when they need to.
theGoat
Techie

Postby magreenblatt » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:02 am

theGoat wrote:
amaitland wrote:The generated VS project files should work just fine In release mode when you pass in -DUSE_SANDBOX=Off

Sorry I was unclear. Of coarse the generated project works in release build with -DUSE_SANDBOX=Off. I ask about the hybrid case (release sandbox=on, debug sandbox=off) because I don't want to lose the benefits of using the sandbox in the release build, while at the same time allowing developers to switch to a static debug build when they need to.

It is possible in CMake. For example, add the CEF_USE_SANDBOX define to CEF_COMPILER_DEFINES_RELEASE instead of CEF_COMPILER_DEFINES in cef_variables.cmake, and use `target_link_libraries(${CEF_TARGET} optimized cef_sandbox_lib ${CEF_SANDBOX_STANDARD_LIBS})` to link the cef_sandbox_lib target for the Release (optimized) build only in the target-specific CMakeLists.txt files.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Return to Support Forum