Using CEF inside a plugin dll / library

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Using CEF inside a plugin dll / library

Postby postlude » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:34 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for a cross-platform API for embedding a web view within an audio plugin (i.e. a dynamically loaded lib) in order to avoid the inconsistencies between platform provided options, IWebBrowser2 on Windows WebView on OS X etc...

CEF seems like a good option but I have a few questions:

- I downloaded the CEF binaries for Mac, and the "minimal" .framework seems to be 150 MB, the client app is around the same size. This would be *massive* for a plugin. Is there any way use CEF with a smaller disk footprint?

- Can CEF actually be used from within a dll, where the plugin host manages the parent window?

Thanks,

Jamie
postlude

Re: Using CEF inside a plugin dll / library

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:13 am

postlude wrote:- I downloaded the CEF binaries for Mac, and the "minimal" .framework seems to be 150 MB, the client app is around the same size. This would be *massive* for a plugin. Is there any way use CEF with a smaller disk footprint?

You might be able to compress the binaries on disk, but there is no supported way to build smaller binaries.

postlude wrote:- Can CEF actually be used from within a dll, where the plugin host manages the parent window?

Yes, but it's complicated on macOS because you need to subclass the singleton NSApplication instance. You can see how the JCEF project does it here: https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... ew-default
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Return to Support Forum