ARM build, no X11

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

ARM build, no X11

Postby davidnlk » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:32 am

Hi. I'm new to CEF and Chromium.

I'm looking for a way to provide a basic browser for a custom embedded platform we have.
It seems that CEF may be the solution we need, although a few questions remain.

Our platform will roughly consist of an ARM SoC, 512MB of RAM + a small Linux distribution (TBD).
It will have a custom-made video driver which will support OpenGL ES + EGL.
It won't have any window manager like X11 or Wayland. The fewer libraries we depend upon the better.
Most of the time it will run a single fullscreen app (i.e. kiosk mode) which will use an in-house game engine to do the rendering (all OpenGL calls).
Our intention is to integrate CEF with this game engine, so the apps using it can open a basic browser widget inside their window.
Basically the same thing UE4, Unity, Steam, etc. already do, except this will run on an embedded platform.

I've glanced at some of the Chromium code, specially Aura & Ozone and look like just the thing we need.
Any more interesting bits I should look at?

To summarize, we would need:
  1. crosscompiling for ARM (is it possible? how?)
  2. getting rid of X11. (does CEF support "use_ozone=true"?)
  3. config options to reduce the final library size, RAM/CPU usage, and/or dependencies
  4. any piece of advice you can offer.

Thank you very much.
davidnlk

Re: ARM build, no X11

Postby magreenblatt » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:03 am

magreenblatt
Site Admin

Return to Support Forum