Starting CEF wrapper process as ActiveX control

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Starting CEF wrapper process as ActiveX control

Postby anandjags » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:10 am

Hi
In order to support communication between a HTML5 application and a native application, we have built following:
- Web page with java script ( gets invoked by the HTML5 application )
- java script creates the ActiveX object ( which inturn starts a new process containing ActiveX control as out_proc)
- java script passes the URL parameters to newly created ActiveX process by invoking a ActiveX method for further processing.
Now,
I would like to replace the ActiveX based mechanism (process with ActiveX control ) with CEF. I have created a wrapper process with CEF - with a Browser window.
But i am not able to start CEF wrapper process from java script as it is not an ActiveX control. Is there any way, I can start CEF wrapper process from java script similar to ActiveX control?
thanks.
anandjags

Re: Starting CEF wrapper process as ActiveX control

Postby HarmlessDave » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:27 pm

This doesn't sound like a CEF question, more of a "how do I run a native executable that happens to be CEF using JavaScript" question. That is something browser security is built to keep you from doing. Only IE lets you run ActiveX apps as a loophole, other browsers do not.

Google "javascript run exe" for links telling you that you can't .
HarmlessDave
Expert

Re: Starting CEF wrapper process as ActiveX control

Postby anandjags » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:56 am

Thanks.
We are trying following : Custom URI
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... 14(v=vs.85).aspx
anandjags

Return to Support Forum