Is user input handled by CEF or by Chromium?

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Is user input handled by CEF or by Chromium?

Postby AndyB » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:27 am

I actually have an issue which happens on Windows Tablet, the keyboard does not work properly in many CEF versions including the most recent one when i click with pen or finger into a textbox.
I jumped into this already opened issue: https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/cef/issues/1797

The pen and finger usage on touch enabled devices is a bit buggy in many CEF/Chromium versions.
What is the correct place for reporting input related issues - Chromium or CEF?
AndyB
Techie

Re: Is user input handled by CEF or by Chromium?

Postby HarmlessDave » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:00 pm

Did you try comparing the binary client for 3.3239 which uses Chromium 63 against the current Chrome?

If it doesn't work in Google Chrome then it's not going to work in CEF and you can report the issue to the Chromium devs.

If it only fails in CEF it might still be a Chromium issue with it not exposing something CEF needs or something like that. You'd need to dig to figure out which.

For example, pages with 13-megapixel camera JPEGs on them crash our app because we can't safely set /LARGEADDRESSAWARE to get 3GB instead of 2GB, and Chromium has a design flaw where it decodes JPEGs to their full size in a 32-bit buffer before scaling down to display size. That requires over 1 GB of RAM in buffers for those images. It doesn't crash Google Chrome because they do use /LARGEADDRESSAWARE.

For touch use, the last time I tested it I had issues if I set the application manifest to be high DPI aware instead of letting Windows scale the window. The coordinates for touches did not properly match up with the UI elements on a Surface Pro.
HarmlessDave
Expert

Re: Is user input handled by CEF or by Chromium?

Postby AndyB » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:36 pm

Thank you for your help!
I tested now with the Chrome browser, the keyboard error happens also there. With 63.0.3239.132 and also with most recent 66.0.3326.0
It seems to be an issue with HighDPI... HighDPI and touch seems to be some kind of "experimental" to me, more or less buggy in different Chromium versions.
I created a ticket at Chromium: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/is ... ?id=804171
AndyB
Techie

Return to Support Forum