Screensharing issue on Windows

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Screensharing issue on Windows

Postby JasonLP » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:22 pm

Does anyone have an application supporting screensharing, particularly on Windows?

I have an application that presents a selection of screens and windows to share, and I use the user's selection to pass this in as the media id in getUserMedia(). This works great on Mac, and mostly on Windows. But I've received a couple of complaints from Windows users that it will select the wrong screen, or it will not work at all.

My initial screen enumeration logic was to call EnumDisplayDevices, and keep around the ids for which there was an attached monitor, formatting the media id as "screen:N:0' where N is the cardinal number passed into EnumDisplayDevices. We discovered that the Chromium layer is doing something differently than what I expected, and we had to change that logic to return the ordinal as the id instead.

That is, if there are three devices detected, but monitors plugged into the first and third, we would need to return screens 0 and 1 rather than 0 and 2.

This change fixed a couple issues on Windows, but there are a couple of machines where this is still not working. One of them appears to be a machine with two identical video cards. The screen will properly share when a monitor is plugged into one device (regardless of port) but not another.

I don't think this is a very commonly used feature, as I have not found any updated discussion on this in awhile. But curious if anyone else has come across this issue and knows of possible solutions/workarounds.

Thanks,
-Jason-
JasonLP
Mentor

Re: Screensharing issue on Windows

Postby Czarek » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:43 am

What CEF version? Try using latest supported branch 3282. How does it behave in Google Chrome at the same version? (I guess that involves using a Chrome extension)
Maintainer of the CEF Python, PHP Desktop and CEF C API projects. My LinkedIn.
Czarek
Virtuoso

Return to Support Forum