Cef in Docker (root/sandbox)

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Cef in Docker (root/sandbox)

Postby zerodefect » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:15 pm

I'm running a C++ application within a Docker container (image based on Ubuntu 17.10). The application is designed using the 'Separate Sub-Process' model as outlined in the CEF guide (as a side note, I'm using dumb-init).

When the docker container starts, I get the error:

[0404/203947.094543:ERROR:zygote_host_impl_linux.cc(90)] Running as root without --no-sandbox is not supported. See https://crbug.com/638180.

I do not perceive running as root within a Docker container to be a security risk, so I would rather disable sandboxing. I've tried to view the bug report outlined in the URL, but the link has restricted access.

Having found some documentation via chromium, I tried to add the '--disable-setuid-sandbox' as is suggested, but it did not appear to make a difference.

Does this command line option need to be passed to parent and child executables? I presume child-only.

Any other tips/suggestions would be very much appreciated.
zerodefect
Techie

Re: Cef in Docker (root/sandbox)

Postby magreenblatt » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:31 pm

Running as root sounds like a bad idea, but you can pass the "--no-sandbox" flag to the main process.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Re: Cef in Docker (root/sandbox)

Postby zerodefect » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:50 pm

Thanks, that did the trick. I don't think I had re-compiled when I tried it the first time (embarrassing).
zerodefect
Techie

Return to Support Forum