MasterBuildQuickStart computer shuts down

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

MasterBuildQuickStart computer shuts down

Postby sefaaydemir » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:46 am

While at the c:\code\chromium_git\update.bat that uses automate-git.py step, computer shuts down without any error message.
It reaches to about %95 at resolving deltas, then my computer simply shuts down.I don't even know how to check what's wrong with it.
sefaaydemir

Re: MasterBuildQuickStart computer shuts down

Postby magreenblatt » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:36 am

I would suggest googling "windows shuts down without warning". It's likely a hardware issue.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby HarmlessDave » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:56 pm

The CPU load will approach 100% on all cores if you let it, that could strain a weak power supply, or raise the temperature beyond safe limits. AKA a hardware issue :)

When building Chromium from source I force my PC to only use 2 cores for the work which keeps the fans from going crazy. I do this by adding "-j 2" to the Ninja build commands, for example:

Code: Select all
ninja -j 2 -C out\Debug_GN_x86 cef
HarmlessDave
Expert

Postby ndesktop » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:15 am

You can try to use -j 1.

In my experience, it's the link phase (especially if you're using, like me, GN_DEFINES=is_win_fastlink=false enable_precompiled_headers=false) that rips the machine.
Also, if you have a some form on AV installed on the build machine, add the chrome directory to the exclusion list.

The shutdown issue is present in the event log.
Check the event ID (and possible the culprit, if is a driver, Disk event, power event etc) which is crucial in determining what happens.
ndesktop
Master

Return to Support Forum