Failed building chromium 65.0.3325.181 64 bit on Windows

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Re: Failed building chromium 65.0.3325.181 64 bit on Windows

Postby ionian » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:55 am

Czarek wrote:Do not make any changes to script args otherwise you have to make changes to all args in regards to paths. Execute it from the `out/Release_GN_x64' directory.

You're right. I did change to out\Release_GN_x64 and run it from there.
This time it failed immediately without even outputting errors from the protoc_wrapper.py script, no traceback no nothing, as if it didn't even find the protoc_wrapper.py script which clearly isn't the case because if I change the script name in the args it will definitely complain it doesn't find it.

Here's the output with the correct script name:

D:\code\chromium_git\chromium\src\out\Release_GN_x64>D:\code\depot_tools\win_tools-2_7_6_bin\python\
bin\python.exe ..\..\tools\protoc_wrapper\protoc_wrapper.py dom_distiller.proto --protoc .\protoc.ex
e --proto-in-dir ..\..\third_party\dom_distiller_js\dist\proto --cc-out-dir gen\third_party\dom_dist
iller_js --py-out-dir pyproto\third_party\dom_distiller_js --plugin ..\..\third_party\dom_distiller_
js\protoc_plugins\json_values_converter.bat --plugin-out-dir gen\third_party\dom_distiller_js --plug
in-options output_dir=:
The system cannot find the path specified.
--plugin_out: protoc-gen-plugin: Plugin failed with status code 1.
Protoc has returned non-zero status: 1 .

And here's the output with the wrong script name (added an s at the end so it became protoc_wrappers.py):

D:\code\chromium_git\chromium\src\out\Release_GN_x64>D:\code\depot_tools\win_tools-2_7_6_bin\python\
bin\python.exe ..\..\tools\protoc_wrapper\protoc_wrappers.py dom_distiller.proto --protoc .\protoc.e
xe --proto-in-dir ..\..\third_party\dom_distiller_js\dist\proto --cc-out-dir gen\third_party\dom_dis
tiller_js --py-out-dir pyproto\third_party\dom_distiller_js --plugin ..\..\third_party\dom_distiller
_js\protoc_plugins\json_values_converter.bat --plugin-out-dir gen\third_party\dom_distiller_js --plu
gin-options output_dir=:
D:\code\depot_tools\win_tools-2_7_6_bin\python\bin\python.exe: can't open file '..\..\tools\protoc_w
rapper\protoc_wrappers.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory
ionian

Postby ionian » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:04 am

OK, deleting the out folder and regenerating the project files brought back the more detailed error output I used to see. Here's the python command output when run directly from a fresh out\Release_GN_x64 folder:

bin\python.exe ..\..\tools\protoc_wrapper\protoc_wrapper.py dom_distiller.proto --protoc .\protoc.ex
e --proto-in-dir ..\..\third_party\dom_distiller_js\dist\proto --cc-out-dir gen\third_party\dom_dist
iller_js --py-out-dir pyproto\third_party\dom_distiller_js --plugin ..\..\third_party\dom_distiller_
js\protoc_plugins\json_values_converter.bat --plugin-out-dir gen\third_party\dom_distiller_js --plug
in-options output_dir=:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "..\..\tools\protoc_wrapper\protoc_wrapper.py", line 142, in <module>
main(sys.argv)
File "..\..\tools\protoc_wrapper\protoc_wrapper.py", line 131, in main
ret = subprocess.call(protoc_cmd)
File "D:\code\depot_tools\win_tools-2_7_6_bin\python\bin\lib\subprocess.py", line 522, in call
return Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs).wait()
File "D:\code\depot_tools\win_tools-2_7_6_bin\python\bin\lib\subprocess.py", line 709, in __init__

errread, errwrite)
File "D:\code\depot_tools\win_tools-2_7_6_bin\python\bin\lib\subprocess.py", line 957, in _execute
_child
startupinfo)
WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified
ionian

Postby ndesktop » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:36 pm

Try to modify temporarily some build python file(s) and print the hell out of them to hunt the missing file error. I did so and usually is some visual studio header file, environment, gn, things like that.
ndesktop
Master

Postby Czarek » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:07 am

ionian wrote:OK, deleting the out folder and regenerating the project files brought back the more detailed error output I used to see.

By deleting files you might end up with yet another different error which will not help you debug the original issue.
Maintainer of the CEF Python, PHP Desktop and CEF C API projects. My LinkedIn.
Czarek
Virtuoso

Postby pschaeffer » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:55 am

Looks like you are running the protoc_wrapper.py Python program. I suggest adding some print statements to that program to get the name of the file that can not be opened. Note that you may have more than one copy of protoc_wrapper.py in your system. However, only one is probably in use.
pschaeffer

Previous

Return to Support Forum