CefBrowser::SendProcessMessage() return value

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

CefBrowser::SendProcessMessage() return value

Postby mohamedm » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:02 pm

So the documentation for CefBrowser::SendProcessMessage() says it returns 'true' the message is sent successfully. However, in cases when the renderer process crashed, the function still returns true and nothing is received by the other (presumably gpu) sub-process that is alive at the time (I'm not expecting that behaviour either, but thought I'd see if anything receives that message).

Is this a bug, or am I missing something? Is there an async or sync callback that I can tap into to say whether than message was sent / received successfully? I've made sure the message is sent from the IO thread in the browser process.

Thank you

Mohamed
mohamedm
Techie

Re: CefBrowser::SendProcessMessage() return value

Postby ndesktop » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:31 pm

SendProcessMessage returning true most likely means the "sender processed the message". It cannot know (without a reply) if the other process received it. Think on PostMessage.
I think a some form of protocol is needed for confirmations (I did so - use GUID, incremental large integers etc. as message ID and check if a msg ID reply arrives in a delta).
ndesktop
Master

Return to Support Forum