Was Alloy chrome extension support removed in CEF 116?

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Was Alloy chrome extension support removed in CEF 116?

Postby HarmlessDave » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:24 pm

CEF 116.0.14+g376a780+chromium-116.0.5845.97, Windows 32-bit, Alloy runtime

We load a custom screen reader extension for accessibility that was working in CEF 112 but no longer functions in CEF 116. We do this using LoadExtension, CreateRootWindowAsExtension, etc. that are no longer in the CEFClient sample app.

Has Alloy support been removed?

If we need to make the switch to the Chrome runtime, is there any sample code available for loading extensions programmatically instead of using a command line argument?
HarmlessDave
Expert

Re: Was Alloy chrome extension support removed in CEF 116?

Postby magreenblatt » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:08 pm

Has Alloy support been removed?

Alloy support for extensions has not been specifically removed. However, it is untested/unsupported for anything other than PDF Viewer and Print Preview.

If we need to make the switch to the Chrome runtime, is there any sample code available for loading extensions programmatically instead of using a command line argument?

Command line or Chrome UI (e.g. chrome://extensions) are the only supported mechanisms currently.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby ndesktop » Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:17 pm

I am doing programmatic extension load (unpacked) with OnBeforeCommandLineProcessing and --load-extension.
ndesktop
Master

Postby HarmlessDave » Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:16 pm

ndesktop wrote:I am doing programmatic extension load (unpacked) with OnBeforeCommandLineProcessing and --load-extension.

Thanks. Does your extension show a UI window? What we're seeing is there are no OnBeforeBrowse or OnBeforeResourceLoad events for the extension window when it should be loading its HTML< CSS, JS and images. I haven't updated this post because we're still looking into it.
HarmlessDave
Expert

Postby ndesktop » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:07 am

HarmlessDave wrote:
ndesktop wrote:I am doing programmatic extension load (unpacked) with OnBeforeCommandLineProcessing and --load-extension.

Thanks. Does your extension show a UI window? What we're seeing is there are no OnBeforeBrowse or OnBeforeResourceLoad events for the extension window when it should be loading its HTML< CSS, JS and images. I haven't updated this post because we're still looking into it.

Yes, there are UI windows, and these are Chrome widgets, not CEF. I did not tried to intercept OnBeforeBrowse or OnBeforeResourceLoad in my case.
OnBeforeBrowse is invoked by NavigationOnUIThread, which in turn is fired up by throttle::CreateThrottlesForNavigation, invoked by both AlloyContentBrowserClient::CreateThrottlesForNavigation and ChromeContentBrowserClientCef::CreateThrottlesForNavigation. In theory, they should end up doing the same thing in NavigationOnUIThread, which is to invoke request handler's OnBeforeBrowse.
But NavigationOnUIThread have multiple points of exit - maybe CefBrowserInfoManager::GetInstance()->MaybeAllowNavigation returns false, or something else. I think a debug/LOG(INFO) combo should trace at least if the execution flow reaches NavigationOnUIThread for the extension window. Or maybe this is not reached at all and maybe ChromeContentBrowserClientCef is not involved at all with --enable-chrome-runtime.

But these are just guesses at this time. For sure, if I will find time and need to check OnBeforeBrowse/OnBeforeResourceLoad, I will post back.
ndesktop
Master

Return to Support Forum