Build System Information for Official Automated Builds

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Build System Information for Official Automated Builds

Postby ramiro3d » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:00 am

Hello,

I am using CEF in a cross-platform project, but this project will also need functionality from libraries such as zlib and libpng.

These libraries are part of chromium's third_party, but chromium (understandably) doesn't expose their functionality. I would like to use the same libraries in my project, in the same way that they are used in chromium.

It would be nice if the third_party libs that were built in the build process for the automated builds were also made available for download, but I assume that's too much to ask for. I would like to at least have systems configured so that I can reproduce the builds and obtain the third_party libs for reuse in my project.

If I understood correctly, these libraries are linked differently on Linux, macOS, and Windows:
- Linux: the system libraries are used.
- macOS and Windows: static libraries are linked into chromium.

Is it possible to have more information about the actual build system being used for the automated builds at https://cef-builds.spotifycdn.com/index.html ?

Linux:
- What system (distribution/sysroot) is used?
- What strategies (besides just the sysroot) are used to make sure the build can be used as widely as possible across different distributions and releases?

macOS:
- What versions of the OS and XCode are used?
- Is a hermetic toolchain used?

Windows:
- What versions of Windows and Visual Studio are used?

Another question could be how the minimum versions are set for macOS and Windows, but I just haven't dug deep enough in the build system yet, I'm sure this information can be found there.

Thank you,
Ramiro
ramiro3d

Re: Build System Information for Official Automated Builds

Postby magreenblatt » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:57 am

Is it possible to have more information about the actual build system being used for the automated builds

Build configurations are documented at https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... igurations

If I understood correctly, these libraries are linked differently on Linux, macOS, and Windows:
- Linux: the system libraries are used.
- macOS and Windows: static libraries are linked into chromium.

In most cases for third_party libraries, static builds are used by default on all platforms.

Linux:
- What system (distribution/sysroot) is used?

See https://chromium.googlesource.com/chrom ... sysroot.md

I would like to use the same libraries in my project, in the same way that they are used in chromium.

CEF exposes APIs for some libraries, like CefZipReader for zlib and CefXmlReader for libxml2. Any functionality not exposed by CEF can likely be built as an independent library (e.g. not as part of a Chromium/CEF build) and linked with your application.

Another question could be how the minimum versions are set for macOS and Windows

For building CEF/Chromium, the minimum versions are determined by Chromium (details).
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Return to Support Forum