Unable to build CEF

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Re: Unable to build CEF

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:07 pm

Xaymar wrote:Here is the console output from each branch I've tried building so far:
- 2987: https://pastebin.com/2Zf4pXiz
- 3239: https://pastebin.com/ijEEjVGt
- 3282: https://pastebin.com/rZXUHrue (3282 with > log.txt 2>&1)

There are a number of odd/wrong things here.

1. With the 2987 branch build output:

--> GN_ARGUMENTS=--ide=vs2017 --sln=cef --filters=//cef/*
--> GYP_MSVS_VERSION=2017
--> CEF_USE_GN=1
--> GN_DEFINES=is_official_build=true use_jumbo_build=true enable_precompiled_headers=false

2987 branch does not support VS2017 or use_jumbo_build=true.

2. All of your output shows it trying to patch the Chromium sources multiple times. What are the contents of ".2.update.bat"?
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby Xaymar » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:51 am

1. I have tried with VS2013, VS2015 and VS2017, but none of them resulted in a difference. It fails to find gn.exe in each of them, but setting a DEPOT_TOOLS_WIN_TOOLCHAIN to 0 would make it find gn. It unfortunately fails on patching after that, or later when trying to actually build libcef_dll_wrapper.

2. Here is the content of .2.update.bat:
Code: Select all
@ECHO OFF
call .env.bat
call PYTHON automate\automate-git.py --depot-tools-dir="%~dp0\depot_tools" --download-dir="%~dp0\v%CEFBRANCH%" --checkout %CEFBRANCH% --force-update --no-distrib --no-build

However, this isn't what causes it to attempt to apply the patches twice. The real reason for this is that .4.build-distrib.bat builds once for x64 and once for x86:
Code: Select all
@ECHO OFF
call PYTHON automate\automate-git.py --depot-tools-dir="%~dp0\depot_tools" --download-dir="%~dp0\v%CEFBRANCH%" --checkout %CEFBRANCH% --distrib-subdir ..\..\..\..\..\v%CEFBRANCH%_distrib_32 --build-target cef --force-build --force-distrib --no-debug-build
call PYTHON automate\automate-git.py --depot-tools-dir="%~dp0\depot_tools" --download-dir="%~dp0\v%CEFBRANCH%" --checkout %CEFBRANCH% --distrib-subdir ..\..\..\..\..\v%CEFBRANCH%_distrib_64 --build-target cef --x64-build --force-build --force-distrib --no-debug-build

As far as i know, the patches shouldn't be applied a second time, since there was no revert of the changes between each run.

Also none of this has to do with the MIDL Version being different, which is what is currently preventing me from building CEF. Even installing the exact Version that the Wiki asks for results in a MIDL version that is newer/more recent. Only if I force my path to not include the windows SDK version and instead directly use Windows Kits/10/bin/x64/midl I get a matching version.
Xaymar
Techie

Postby Xaymar » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:27 pm

Since last time I seem to have managed to get a working build, by doing several things differently:
  • --depot_tools is no longer specified for automate-git.py.
  • Builds were run manually through ninja instead of automate-git.py.
  • Only Windows SDK 10563.468 was installed, all other SDK versions were removed.
  • Used Visual Studio 2015 instead of Visual Studio 2017, uninstalled Visual Studio 2017 too.
  • Removed any modifications of GN_ARGUMENTS.
To my surprise, this ended up with a working build by ninja. It was now finally using the correct tools, no longer randomly choosing to use a different midl generator or randomly failing to find gn. I'm not really sure why the builds now work, or what actually caused them to work - but I'm happy that I got something to work again.
Xaymar
Techie

Postby magreenblatt » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:17 pm

Glad to hear it :) Let me know if you do manage to figure out the problem. I personally have many tools installed (VS2013 through VS2017, various Windows SDK versions, etc) and the builds succeed for me running ninja directly.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Support Forum