PHP Desktop uses CEF

Built a cool app using CEF that you'd like to share with the community? Talk about it here.

PHP Desktop uses CEF

Postby Czarek » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:05 pm

Hi,

I'm happy to announce that the PHP Desktop project is now using CEF. PHP Desktop allows deploying PHP/HTML5 applications as desktop application. See the project site: https://code.google.com/p/phpdesktop/

PHP Desktop can also act as a packager for pure HTML5/JS applications, shipping the PHP interpreter is not required. PHP Desktop is not strongly tied to PHP, it can also act as a packager for any other scripting languages like Perl, Ruby, Python, that provide a CGI interface for script execution.

Best regards,
Czarek
Last edited by Czarek on Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maintainer of the CEF Python, PHP Desktop and CEF C API projects. My LinkedIn.
Czarek
Virtuoso

Re: PHP Desktop uses CEF

Postby magreenblatt » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:25 pm

Nice! I didn't realize PHP added a built-in web server :). That makes life a lot easier than when I last embedded PHP in an application.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Re: PHP Desktop uses CEF

Postby Czarek » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:34 am

Unfortunately the PHP built-in webserver is single threaded, so it can handle only one request at the same time. Some php apps may hang because of that if they use curl/wget (or some other) to fetch another php script from the server, while current script is being executed.

Initially PHP Desktop used PHP webserver, but later migrated to Mongoose webserver [wikipedia.org], which is multithreaded. It's a very lightweight and easy to embed webserver. It recently went commercialy and was GPL'ed, but new forks have arisen. Also you can still use the version that was still MIT licensed (PHP Desktop does so). See the web_server.cpp in PHP Desktop on how to embed Mongoose webserver. The last revision of Mongoose that was MIT licensed is 04fc209644b414d915c446bb1815b55e9fe63acc. There is also the civetweb fork that is MIT licensed.
Maintainer of the CEF Python, PHP Desktop and CEF C API projects. My LinkedIn.
Czarek
Virtuoso

Return to Apps Discussion