The cost of replacing IE control with CEF?

Built a cool app using CEF that you'd like to share with the community? Talk about it here.

The cost of replacing IE control with CEF?

Postby FredK » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:37 pm

hi guys,

I want to use CEF as a HTML-Editor in my application, replacing IE control. I have a questions:

How much larger will my application be (compared to IE control solution)? Any suggestions on reducing the application size?
FredK

Re: The cost of replacing IE control with CEF?

Postby cagret » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:38 am

There were topics regarding this matter.

You need to distribute icudt.dll and libcef.dll along with your application which is about 26 MB. That can be compressed to about 8-9 MB with UPX or NSIS installer.

You could disable some of the html5 features in webkit that you don't need (for example audio, video, webgl, canvas, sqlite databases) and that could save you some space. In first releases of CEF that had less features these dlls took about 18 MB, so after compression that would be about only 6 MB of additional size to your application.

There were some ideas to compile CEF statically that could save you even more space, but from what I know that is impossible.

IE control does not increase the size of your app cause all the dlls are already on your system. So your app will be larger by about 6 MB (that could be less, depends on what features you need).

There is also an another way. Distribute a small installer to your application (a 500 KB file) that downloads the full application later when installing. That is how Google Chrome installer works.
cagret
Techie

Postby Pzjay » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:54 am

cagret wrote:There were topics regarding this matter.

You need to distribute icudt.dll and libcef.dll along with your application which is about 26 MB. That can be compressed to about 8-9 MB with UPX or NSIS installer.

You could disable some of the html5 features in webkit that you don't need (for example audio, video, webgl, canvas, sqlite databases) and that could save you some space. In first releases of CEF that had less features these dlls took about 18 MB, so after compression that would be about only 6 MB of additional size to your application.

There were some ideas to compile CEF statically that could save you even more space, but from what I know that is impossible.

IE control does not increase the size of your app cause all the dlls are already on your system. So your app will be larger by about 6 MB (that could be less, depends on what features you need).

There is also an another way. Distribute a small installer to your application (a 500 KB file) that downloads the full application later when installing. That is how Google Chrome installer works.

Hi, Are there has some APIs in webkit to turn off some html5 features directly, for example " Geolocation " or " audio "?
Pzjay
Techie

Postby Pzjay » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:30 pm

Pzjay wrote:
cagret wrote:There were topics regarding this matter.

Hi, Are there has some APIs in webkit to turn off some html5 features directly, for example " Geolocation " or " audio "?

I've found it.
Pzjay
Techie

Return to Apps Discussion