[JCEF] On-Screen Rendering in Linux

Having problems with building or using the JCEF Java binding? Ask your questions here.

[JCEF] On-Screen Rendering in Linux

Postby mjgp2 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:07 am

Hi all!

So there are bugs open currently for off-screen rendering around the lack of caret/cursors when using OSR. I guess this is because the caret is not included in the rendering from the off-screen buffer as it's drawn by the O/S.

I thought it would be simple enough to use Window Rendering, as this isn't a headless use-case but a packaged application. Unfortunately on Linux setting osr=false in org.cef.CefClient.createBrowser means you end up with a totally blank area where the browser should be.

So, couple of Q's before I file a bug (can't find one currently):

(1) Am I missing anything obvious? Should WR mode work out of the box?
(2) Does OSR have any benefits over WR for a normal windowed application?

Thanks!

Matt :)
mjgp2

Re: [JCEF] On-Screen Rendering in Linux

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:08 am

mjgp2 wrote:(1) Am I missing anything obvious? Should WR mode work out of the box?

Windowed mode is not yet implemented on Linux. Patches welcome :)
mjgp2 wrote:(2) Does OSR have any benefits over WR for a normal windowed application?

Not really. It's just easier to implement in Java (because getting native windows working in Java requires all kinds of platform-specific hacks).
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby mjgp2 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:43 am

Might be a bit of a steep GTK learning curve but I am happy to give it a go :)

Is there anyone in the community who could give a bit of support - who implemented the Mac/Win WR mode?
mjgp2

Postby mjgp2 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:49 am

mjgp2

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:10 am

mjgp2 wrote:Might be a bit of a steep GTK learning curve but I am happy to give it a go :)

You shouldn't do the work using the 1916 branch. GTK was removed starting in 2062 so you should use that branch instead. Updating JCEF to the new branch might be a good experiment to gain familiarity with CEF and JCEF code.

mjgp2 wrote:Is there anyone in the community who could give a bit of support - who implemented the Mac/Win WR mode?

SVN log is your friend ;). For best results ask questions here.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Return to JCEF Forum