Linking a new CEF build to JCEF

Having problems with building or using the JCEF Java binding? Ask your questions here.

Re: Linking a new CEF build to JCEF

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:29 pm

You'll likely need to update JCEF (rebuild native code, maybe Java classes) for M121.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby KatrinaS » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:55 pm

Yeah it's just gotta be something dead simple, the Automated Build copy (121.2.14+ga44b59f) of basically the same works just as expected with the new JCEF parts / App. Since it's now on a separate machine I think tonight I'll just leave it to go through the whole download / build process cycle again just to make sure everything is as it should be :)
KatrinaS
Mentor

Postby KatrinaS » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:36 pm

Thought what the heck push the button on it, did a rebuild and the JCEF aspects work with the Automated Build copy (121.2.14+ga44b59f) but not this freshly minted 121.0.0-HEAD+g3df5f07 (seems a strange build version to get, gawd knows what it actually is tbh, the last said it was 121.0.0-master.322,, do I need to clean out the cef folder in c:\Code??? :?), only difference / improvement from the first attempt is that at least my App starts but it gets no further than its starting up dialog :D I must be soooo close to getting the lightning bolt of realisation that I've done something wrong :lol: I'm such a nOoB :roll: :D

Now wondering if I should just have done with it and just download the whole Chromium / CEF lot again and refollow the steps :)
KatrinaS
Mentor

Postby KatrinaS » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:16 am

So I did it all again, the JCEF bits work with the 'Automated Build' still but not the new output, (I should have tried this days ago) so I thought okay lets try the 'cefclient.exe' and surprise surprise there's a problem(s).. I get a System Error 'The code execution cannot ... libc++.dll was not found ...' and '... base.dll was not ...' and '... base_allocator_partition_ ... blah.dll was not ...',, so something's not working in the final .dll merge step (I'll have to go back inabit and see if these .dll's actually exist) :? It's doing my head in now because there's not a single error thrown when it's initially made or when finally putting it all together :cry: :lol:

Do I actually need to do all this? No :D But would it be good to be able to do it? Yes of course :lol:

The libcef.dll is significantly smaller than the automated build version, I'm following the steps verbatim but I mustn't be following the steps verbatim otherwise it'd work :roll: :D
KatrinaS
Mentor

Postby magreenblatt » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:45 am

Check your GN_DEFINES. You should be using the values from https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... figuration
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby KatrinaS » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:09 am

Where do you mean exactly, surely everything must be in order or it'd basically, you'd expect, fail'ish at the first hurdle. The whole process from step A to Z is saying absolutely nothing except that it's doing this, that or the other, I'm following the MasterBuildQuickStart :)

But regardless. There are significant differences between what's expected and the actual output from following the guide above :)

Gimmi a sign,, I haven't installed the correct VS components? Am I warmer? Lemme see, I'll take a screen of what the installer is saying :D

I didn't mean using the 'Automated Method', I mean't the download from the CEF Automated Builds download page :)
Last edited by KatrinaS on Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
KatrinaS
Mentor

Postby KatrinaS » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:23 am

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (41.06 KiB) Viewed 641 times

That's all she wrote, VS22 17.8.5 Enterprise. Ahhhhh C++ Modules for v143 build tools? :) I'm not even using VS to actually build anything but JCEF, and the helper and .dll out of that work :? Guess I could untick that MFC one :)

Help! If someone else has this working post ur ticks :lol:
KatrinaS
Mentor

Postby magreenblatt » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:39 pm

If you’re trying to create a build that matches the automated builds then you need to follow the same steps (use the same configuration).
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby KatrinaS » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:39 pm

Ah. So if I am used to / need how it turns out that's equivalent to the download from the 'Chromium Embedded Framework (CEF) Automated Builds' page then I must do the build from the page you mention above and not from the Master Build guide okay okay :D But why are the steps I'm currently doing producing something that's different,, basically the same files but with different sizes and an omission or two? It just puzzles me (which is not difficult) :lol:

Okay I'll get my head around what this new build process involves :)

You should put a warning on the Master Building guide page that what it actually produces is a non functional result,, also 16GB of memory requirement works but deffo isn't enough,, this CEF is making me have to upgrade this new one to 64GB! :D
KatrinaS
Mentor

Postby magreenblatt » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:59 pm

But why are the steps I'm currently doing producing something that's different,, basically the same files but with different sizes and an omission or two?

Because of the different GN_DEFINES (among other things).

You should put a warning on the Master Building guide page that what it actually produces is a non functional result

It's perfectly functional if you use it for the intended purpose (emphasis mine):
This page provides a quick-start guide for setting up a minimal development environment and building the master branch of Chromium/CEF for development purposes. For a comprehensive discussion of the available tools and configurations visit the BranchesAndBuilding Wiki page.

This guide is NOT intended for:

Those seeking a prebuilt binary distribution for use in third-party apps. Go here instead.
Those seeking to build the binary distribution in a completely automated manner. Go here instead.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to JCEF Forum