Single sign-on support

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Single sign-on support

Postby kevinv » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:26 pm

Hello,

We have a CEF app now which is currently broken because of a recent corporate security requirement. Users need to be signed into their browsers to access any corporate web sites. Our users have been using the browser directly until we can come up with a solution but their productivity is suffering. Our CEF app automates multiple tasks that need to be done when using the browser into single tasks in the CEF app.

We are being told we can use WebView2 which has single sign-on support (SSO). I have tested it and it works. As far as I know CEF doesn't have this functionality but that's what I'm here to verify. It would be far easier to just twiddle our CEF app for this than to have to dump it and rewrite the whole thing in WebView2 but we may have no choice.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin
kevinv

Re: Single sign-on support

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:45 pm

What SSO solution are they using? Sounds like it works with Google Chrome, in which case it will likely work with CEF’s Chrome runtime.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby amaitland » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:30 pm

Maintainer of the CefSharp project.
amaitland
Virtuoso

Postby amaitland » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:46 pm

@magreenblatt Has support for parenting to a native (non-Views) window been added to the Chrome runtime yet?
amaitland
Virtuoso

Postby kevinv » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:41 am

Yes, this is the same problem. Do I take what this says as the case? CEF can't support this?
kevinv

Postby magreenblatt » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:23 am

amaitland wrote:@magreenblatt Has support for parenting to a native (non-Views) window been added to the Chrome runtime yet?

No
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby amaitland » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:31 pm

From what i understand the new AD auth for Chrome is implemented as an extension called Windows Accounts.

If you are happy to use the Chrome runtime as detailed above then you should be able to use the extension, you just need to manually download and load it.

A chrome extension is just a zip file, you can potentially look at the JavaScript to see how it's implemented, it might be possible to implement the functionality directly in CEF.

Having asked the Microsoft employee a few follow up questions and yet to get a response, it seems unlikely we'll get help implementing a custom solution.
amaitland
Virtuoso

Postby kevinv » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:31 am

amaitland wrote:From what i understand the new AD auth for Chrome is implemented as an extension called Windows Accounts.

If you are happy to use the Chrome runtime as detailed above then you should be able to use the extension, you just need to manually download and load it.

A chrome extension is just a zip file, you can potentially look at the JavaScript to see how it's implemented, it might be possible to implement the functionality directly in CEF.

Having asked the Microsoft employee a few follow up questions and yet to get a response, it seems unlikely we'll get help implementing a custom solution.

I have tried the Windows Account extension and it doesn't work. I don't know why but I'm assuming it calls something that isn't supported within the CEF extension support.
kevinv

Postby amaitland » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:36 pm

The extension should work if you use the Chrome runtime as per the link above.
amaitland
Virtuoso

Return to Support Forum