Cygwin and perl build error while building chrome for CEF3

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Cygwin and perl build error while building chrome for CEF3

Postby prad » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:20 am

Hi,

While building chrome for CEF3 I am getting errors in the "webcore_bindings_source" project in third_party/webkit/WebCore.

The webcore_bindings_source project uses the action_makenames.py python script to create ".h" files. This python script calls make_names.pl perl file. The make_names.pl perl file internally calls "gcc preprocessor" command to create the ".h" files. The make_names.pl file uses the perl "open" function via "pipe" to call "gcc". The open() function does a fork() which fails in cygwin's "sh" shell.

Would anyone know a solution/work around for this issue? Has anyone else faced this issue earlier ?

<error>
1> 1 [main] perl 4124 child_copy: linked dll data write copy failed, 0xCEA000..0xD09C48, done 0, windows pid 4124, Win32 error 487
1> 5123168 [main] perl 4124 child_copy: linked dll data write copy failed, 0xCEA000..0xD09C48, done 0, windows pid 4124, Win32 error 487
1> 1 [main] perl 3396 child_copy: linked dll data write copy failed, 0xCEA000..0xD09C48, done 0, windows pid 3396, Win32 error 487
</error>

I know this is a mostly a chrome issue, but I was wondering if anyone here might have faced this issue earlier and any possible solutions to this.
I have been really working hard on this problem for a few days and am facing the same issue.
I even tried to build on two separate boxes and double checked the instructions. I have not missed (or skipped) any instructions.

Details of my Windows box are:
+ OS: Windows 7 64 bit
+ Visual Studio 2010 Professional edition with SP1
+ Build: Debug; Win32
+ Ram 8 GB

Thanks,
~ prad
prad
Techie

Re: Cygwin and perl build error while building chrome for CE

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:14 am

Cygwin isn't required for building Chromium/CEF. Try using the standard windows console instead.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby prad » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:12 pm

The chrome code downloads its own version of cygwin and perl.

Its present in the third party folder of chrome.
src/third_party/cygwin.

This is a requirement by Webkit project. So while building Webkit project (webcore_bindings_source in webcore) invokes cygwin and then perl to call the C++ preprocessor. This is opened in cygwin's "sh" shell and crashes. Also Webkit's cygwin and perl are really old.

I have tried building the code on two separate Windows boxes. On one box I dont have cygwin.
On another box I even tried to replace Webkit's cygwin with a new version of cygwin but it did not work.

Also I was able to build the code on Ubuntu with out any issues as it used the perl present on Ubuntu.

One solution found on net is to rebase cygwin's dlls. But that requires ash/dash shell and rebaseall.exe which is not present with Webkit's version of cygwin.
prad
Techie

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:19 pm

I haven't seen this particular issue building on Windows. I build on a number of different machines and I don't install my own copy of cygwin.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby prad » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:31 am

I got the build working by building on a box without anti-virus.
So I installed Windows 7 on a new box and only installed the required software (and no anti-virus).

The only error was while linking chrome (when only building chrome browser). The build would break when the chrome_dll.pdb file would reach 1 GB.
Disable creating the pdb file to move around this issue.

Stopping anti-virus does not work. One may need to uninstall the anti-virus. This seems to be a know problem with Cygwin. Also there are a few other softwares that interfere with Cygwin.
So building on a clean box is the best solution.
prad
Techie

Return to Support Forum