CEF 1 on Ubuntu - segmentation fault on youtube (Flash)

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

CEF 1 on Ubuntu - segmentation fault on youtube (Flash)

Postby Czarek » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:45 am

Hi,

I've built CEF 1 branch 1271 revision 968 chrome version 23.0.1271.97 on Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS 32bit (64bit running schroot precise32), when running I'm getting these messages in the console:

Code: Select all
(precise32)czarek@czarek-Ubuntu:~/cef1_1271_precise32/chromium/src/cef/binary_distrib/cef_binary_1.1271.968_linux/Release$ ./cefclient
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
[0102/073954:ERROR:bus.cc(307)] Failed to connect to the bus: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
[0102/073954:ERROR:bus.cc(307)] Failed to connect to the bus: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory

When I go to youtube.com and select some video page application exits and I only see this message in the console:
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I also got this message once:
(cefclient:21939): Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead

I remember that there was some error when running "gclient sync", something about "dbus", I googled and fixed it by installing "libdbus-glib-1-dev":
sudo apt-get install libdbus-glib-1-dev
Last edited by Czarek on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maintainer of the CEF Python, PHP Desktop and CEF C API projects. My LinkedIn.
Czarek
Virtuoso

Re: CEF 1 on Ubuntu - segmentation fault on youtube

Postby Czarek » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:10 pm

When I run cefclient on 64bit it works fine, there is no error on youtube video, just a message that html5 video is not supported, though there are some errors in the console:
`menu_proxy_module_load': ./cefclient: undefined symbol: menu_proxy_module_load
(cefclient:28873): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to load type module: (null)

On 64bit an application menu "Tests" appears, this menu is missing when running cefclient 32bit.

On 32bit I got rid of the "Failed to load module canberra-gtk-module" message by installing library:
sudo apt-get install libcanberra-gtk-module

But the menu still does not appear and it crashes on youtube video.
Czarek
Virtuoso

Postby Czarek » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:25 pm

I've tried running cefclient on pure 32bit Ubuntu 12.04 (not through schroot), dbus error messages disappeared, but it still behaves the same, "Tests" menu is missing and youtube video crashes application:
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Czarek
Virtuoso

Postby magreenblatt » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:30 pm

Can you build on the 32bit system directly? The build/install-build-deps.sh script should install everything you need.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby Czarek » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:35 pm

I got rid of the crash by uninstalling Adobe Flash Player system plug-in using Ubuntu Software Center, now I get a message "Adobe Flash Player or an html 5 supported browser is required" which is fine, as html5 video was removed from CEF 1, but still the "Tests" menu is missing on 32bit Ubuntu.

Marshall wrote:Can you build on the 32bit system directly? The build/install-build-deps.sh script should install everything you need.

Is there an easy way to install both 64bit (already installed) & 32bit on 1 drive?

I planned to use 64bit to build 32bit as 32bit has memory limits and I read that chromium builds eat lots of memory.
Czarek
Virtuoso

Postby magreenblatt » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:48 pm

It should be possible to cross-compile 32bit on a 64bit system. It may be possible to build CEF1 in a 32bit linux VM (perhaps release mode only due to memory limitations). I believe Chromium cross-compiles on the bots, you can check their config and perhaps duplicate it. This might also help: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/LinuxChromiumArm
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby Czarek » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:41 pm

I've just run 32bit ubuntu on pendrive and saw that it detected 7.6 GB of ram, I was so confused, I've launched Google and it seems that Ubuntu uses PAE (Physical Address Extension) which allows it to use up to 64 GB of ram on a 32bit system:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnablingPAE
It works out of the box if installer detects more than 8 GB of ram in a computer.

And the performance seems great, there is only 1-5% max of overhead when using PAE, see an answer to this question:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/151068/f ... vs-non-pae

So compiling chromium on 32bit should not be a problem even if it needs more than 4 GB of ram, I'm going to install 32bit Ubuntu and just forget about the 64bit, I only needed it because of the 4GB ram limit I thought there was.
Czarek
Virtuoso

Postby Czarek » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:44 pm

I've compiled on Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS 32bit, the problem still persists, there is no "Tests" menu in cefclient application, also when I go to youtube video I get segmentation fault, the only difference is that I do not longer get "dbus" error messages when starting cefclient.
Czarek
Virtuoso

Postby Czarek » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:53 pm

I see what is going on, the "Tests" menu on 32bit lands on top system bar (not in application's bar) even when application is in windowed mode (not maximized), so it's hard to notice it. It works fine on 64bit I see it just above the forward/back buttons.

It seems that Ubuntu 64bit does not use Unity user interface, hence the differences between 32bit & 64bit. To see normal menus type in terminal:
 sudo apt-get autoremove appmenu-gtk appmenu-gtk3 appmenu-qt

I'm also still getting these warnings:

So there is still problem with the segmentation fault. Is Flash supposed to be working on Ubuntu/Linux?

Btw. why is Ubuntu so fast in building Chromium? It took only 25 minutes, compare it to Visual Studio 2010 that takes almost 1.5 hours to compile on the same computer.
Czarek
Virtuoso

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 am

You can try this to fix the 'menu_proxy_module_load' error: http://orthogonal.me/2012/06/20/getting ... cs-24-1-4/

Linux has always been the fastest builder and Windows the slowest in my experience. Ninja should build faster than VS on Windows but I haven't personally tried it. You might also want to try these "accelerating the build" tips if you haven't already: http://www.chromium.org/developers/how- ... -the-build
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Next

Return to Support Forum