Improving libcef.dll load time

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Improving libcef.dll load time

Postby sk23 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:31 am

Hi All,

I am working on improving the performance of the app which loads libcef.dll. I observed that
1.The app is loading several MBs of non-cached data from the libcef.dll taking several seconds(approx 10 sec) until the browser starts loading javascript.

2.The browser takes nearly 10 sec to load javascript (css, js, json).

Is there any way to improve this?Any inputs are appreciated?

Thanks in Advance
S
sk23

Re: Improving libcef.dll load time

Postby magreenblatt » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:14 pm

What version of CEF are you using? What device are you loading CEF from?

If you're using a normal computer and hard drive then you may be experiencing delays due to proxy auto-detection. If you're using CEF3 try running with the "--no-proxy-server" command-line flag. See http://dev.chromium.org/developers/desi ... y-settings for more information. You should design your application to first show a static splash page and then redirect to the actual website (for example, using meta refresh -- the redirect will be blocked until proxy resolution completes).

You can duplicate proxy resolution delays with Chrome by running "chrome --url=..." from the command line.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby magreenblatt » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:18 pm

I may have misunderstood your question. If the cause of the delay is your application loading content into memory then you should consider a few things:

1. Optimize the method you're using for loading the content.
2. Load the content asynchronously.
3. Consider breaking the content into smaller chunks or streaming it on an as-needed basis.

The splash page concept described above can also be used to show something while waiting for your application content to load.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby sk23 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:19 pm

Thanks for the response.
I am using CEF version-3.1180.719 and integrating libcef.dll in the app which runs on a small embedded device.
I do have the splash screen but for loading the app itself it takes long time i.e for showing the first window it is taking long time.
Is there a way to enhance the loading time of libcef.dll?

Regarding optimizing loading of the content, I will try if I can make the method to load contents better.

Thanks
S
sk23

Postby magreenblatt » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:38 pm

It's definitely a challenge on embedded devices given the size of the libraries. What OS are you using? What are the device specs (processor speed, storage access speed, memory, etc)?
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Return to Support Forum