Enable Flash Support

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Enable Flash Support

Postby kleon » Fri May 04, 2018 10:44 am

Hi guys,

I'm trying to enable Flash in "cefsimple" default example by adding following code:

Code: Select all
void SimpleApp::OnBeforeCommandLineProcessing(const CefString &process_type, CefRefPtr<CefCommandLine> command_line)
{
    command_line->AppendSwitchWithValue("ppapi-flash-path","pepflashplayer.dll");
    command_line->AppendSwitch("enable-system-flash");
    command_line->AppendSwitchWithValue("ppapi-flash-path","/opt/google/chrome-unstable/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so");
    command_line->AppendSwitchWithValue("ppapi-flash-version","17.0.0.141");
}

But when I compile the project and open flash, I get the message at the place where flash content should be showed:
"Control-click to run Adobe Flash Player"

When I press "control-click" and select "Run This Plugin" option, nothing happens.

I wonder should I do anything more except the code above to enable Flash?
Does PPAPI plugin already included to CEF?
Should I download the plugin to include it to my project?
How can I avoid the message "Control-click to run Adobe Flash Player" and start Flash plugin automatically?

I will be grateful for any advices. Thx!

P.S. Sorry for the spelling, English is not my native language :)
kleon

Re: Enable Flash Support

Postby HarmlessDave » Fri May 04, 2018 11:33 am

You can't use the DLL that ships with Google Chrome, you need to download and install the PPAPI version of Flash for Chromium that Adobe offers.

Once you do that, you just need to enable Flash you do not need to set paths, CEF finds it automatically.

If you want to redistribute the 20 MB PPAPI Flash installer yourself, you need to fill out a form somewhere on the Adobe site, then they will give you a link to a private download page to get the installer. You then put a copy of it on a site you control.

Remember that Adobe and Chromium will stop supporting Flash at the end of 2020.
Last edited by HarmlessDave on Fri May 04, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HarmlessDave
Expert

Postby magreenblatt » Fri May 04, 2018 11:34 am

It looks like you're using Windows. You need to download the Pepper Flash plugin from Adobe. Use only the enable-system-flash command-line flag.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby maroguimo » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:03 pm

If I download version 85.3.12 of CEF, version 32_0_0_445 Flash and generate an installation of my custom browser, disabling the automatic update of PPAPI, will I be able to continue using Flash after December 2020?
maroguimo

Postby magreenblatt » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:32 am

maroguimo wrote:If I download version 85.3.12 of CEF, version 32_0_0_445 Flash and generate an installation of my custom browser, disabling the automatic update of PPAPI, will I be able to continue using Flash after December 2020?

Yes, probably. Flash support will be removed from new Chromium versions after that date, but existing versions should continue to work (unless Adobe disables it remotely, which seems unlikely).
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby amaitland » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:57 pm

magreenblatt wrote:
maroguimo wrote:If I download version 85.3.12 of CEF, version 32_0_0_445 Flash and generate an installation of my custom browser, disabling the automatic update of PPAPI, will I be able to continue using Flash after December 2020?

Yes, probably. Flash support will be removed from new Chromium versions after that date, but existing versions should continue to work (unless Adobe disables it remotely, which seems unlikely).

Adobe Flash installer popped up this morning warning me that Flash support was ending and if I wasn't using Flash that I should uninstall it, gave me a `Remind Me Later` and `Uninstall` options. Completely unprompted, just on PC boot. So they're pretty keen to be rid of it from what I can tell.
Maintainer of the CefSharp project.
amaitland
Virtuoso

Postby maroguimo » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:22 pm

Apparently after December nothing will run on the Flash Player, even if it is installed on the machine. See Adobe's official statement:

"Users will be prompted by Adobe to uninstall Flash Player on their machines later this year and Flash-based content will be blocked from running in Adobe Flash Player after the EOL Date."

Link: https://www.adobe.com/br/products/flash ... -life.html

Adobe has partnered with the company Harman which will continue to support Flash after December 2020. I contacted the company today and said the price for one application in a custom browser will be $ 25,000/year. In their document it says that they provide an application in Electron.js with Chromium and the PPAPI library, but the price....
maroguimo

Postby amaitland » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:23 pm

Chromes flash deprecation schedule is at https://www.chromium.org/flash-roadmap# ... -Jan-2021-

I'd expect you'll be able to run on an old unsupported version of CEF after chromium removes support. You may need to keep a copy of the pepper flash dlls and load them manually via command line args.

If Adobe has built in some sort of time bomb then there is nothing we can do about it.
amaitland
Virtuoso

Postby amaitland » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:17 pm

https://www.zdnet.com/google-amp/articl ... obe-flash/ suggests that Microsoft will uninstall flash for you.

The Windows catalog appears to confirm https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.co ... ?q=4577586
amaitland
Virtuoso

Postby amaitland » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:35 am

As per the Chromium Flash Roadmap the loading of Adobe Flash will be blocked as outdated starting this month (Jan 2021)

You can try the following command line arg https://peter.sh/experiments/chromium-c ... ed-plugins
(I haven't tested this)

Support will be removed from Chromium 88 (not blocked or disabled, actually removed from the project source)
amaitland
Virtuoso

Return to Support Forum