CEF migration guide from earlier versions

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

CEF migration guide from earlier versions

Postby G0apher » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:49 am

I am working on a Native Mac/Win App - that also hosts CEF to display web pages within. The CEF version is pretty old (see below), and now I am trying to update to the latest.
>>>>
#define CEF_VERSION_MAJOR 3
#define CEF_REVISION 1523
#define COPYRIGHT_YEAR 2013

#define CHROME_VERSION_MAJOR 29
#define CHROME_VERSION_MINOR 0
#define CHROME_VERSION_BUILD 1547
#define CHROME_VERSION_PATCH 80
<<<<

I have managed to compile my application with the new CEF version (3.3497.1829), but CEF won't load any content, and the CEF Render Process always terminates with code 2 (CRASHED).
Are there any guidelines or readmes to figure out the major workflows/methods that have changed? Or is cefclient the only definitive place to look for solving any issues?

I am now planning to debug the Render Process to figure out the next steps.
Thanks for any pointers.
G0apher
Techie

Re: CEF migration guide from earlier versions

Postby Czarek » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:26 am

There is no migration guide for CEF. See the wiki pages: General Usage, Architecture, Tutorial. See also the cefsimple sample application and compare your code against it. Providing a stack trace for your crash might help.
Maintainer of the CEF Python, PHP Desktop and CEF C API projects. My LinkedIn.
Czarek
Virtuoso

Postby G0apher » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:43 am

Thanks - I think I can work starting from cefclient sample application, and retro-fit my application into the new CEF, rather than trying the other way around.
I am unable to get a crash log, other than the debug message "CEF Render Process Terminated" with ERR_ABORTED. Let me dig deep into this.\

Thanks again.
G0apher
Techie

Postby Czarek » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:04 am

Check the debug.log file (see CefSettings.log_severity and log_file). Try commenting out any settings and command line switches that you set to see if they cause the issue.
Maintainer of the CEF Python, PHP Desktop and CEF C API projects. My LinkedIn.
Czarek
Virtuoso

Postby G0apher » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:23 am

The debug logs indicate a "dropped node" - before OnRenderProcessTerminated() is called on the browser.
My CefSettings have these:
settings.command_line_args_disabled = true;
settings.external_message_pump = true;
settings.windowless_rendering_enabled = false; // no osr needed
settings.log_severity = LOGSEVERITY_VERBOSE;
I only pass an empty command line when creating the MainContext. Are there any defaults?

Any clues on where should I debug further? Or any other switch to enable? I am re-using the RootWindow from cefclient sample within my application.

Thanks again.

(I am unable to upload the debug log file- are there any access restrictions for that?)
G0apher
Techie

Postby ndesktop » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:33 am

Try to launch the app from a console with with --enable-logging --v=1. It will print additional debug messages.
ndesktop
Master

Return to Support Forum