debug performance of local build vs. official binary dist

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

debug performance of local build vs. official binary dist

Postby freeman40 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:12 pm

I have built cef branch 3578 using the "automated method" described here: https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... ndBuilding
I have then compiled the libcef_wrapper and linked everything in with my app.

When running DEBUG build of my app (with DEBUG cef libraries), the performance is very slow (to the point that it is unusable).
I must have done something wrong with the local build, because the performance is fine if I use one of the official "binary distribution" builds of cef (3.3538 for example) (also using the DEBUG libraries).

I am wondering if there is something different between the "automated method" to build cef and what is done to build the official binary distributions - some different build switches maybe?
I notice that libcef.dll is ~500MB in my local build, but in the official builds is only ~130MB.

Anyone have any suggestions as to why the DEBUG version from locally built cef is so slow?

FWIW: I am using off screen rendering, and the reason I particularly want to use the 3578 branch is to try out the hardware accelerated osr stuff.
freeman40

Re: debug performance of local build vs. official binary dis

Postby magreenblatt » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:56 am

Official Debug builds are actually Release builds with debug checks enabled. Official build settings are here: https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... igurations
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Re: debug performance of local build vs. official binary dis

Postby freeman40 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:01 pm

Thanks Marshall, sorry I missed that bit in the wiki!
freeman40

Return to Support Forum