Link error with build 3770

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Re: Link error with build 3770

Postby naoki5 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:40 pm

linuxcef9 wrote:That's weird. You can just pass --branch parameter and build whatever branch you want and you can even get more specific by specifying the cef/chromium commit.
Earlier branches always build fine that way.

Previously, I built the 3626 branch using the "MasterBuildQuickStart" procedure.
So I thought I could build a new branch in the same way, but I couldn't.

When I built using the "Automated Method" procedure, I specified the branch to build, "official build", and "proprietary codecs".
Since the script does the build, I don't know the detailed settings.
naoki5
Expert

Postby linuxcef9 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:45 am

So after running "Automated Method", you had libcef_dll_wrapper.lib, libcef.dll and libcef.lib as output and then you just used visual studio to consume them in your MFC app?

Or did you build libcef_dll_wrapper.lib too using visual studio?

Reason I am asking is, the automated method will build libcef_dll_Wrapper.lib which is linked to libc++. So your app should've linker errors if it links against the libcef_dll_wrapper.lib.
Only if you build libcef_dll_wrapper.lib using visual studio, it will work fine because then , your app and libcef_dll_wrapper.lib will use the same runtime.
linuxcef9
Expert

Postby naoki5 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:23 am

linuxcef9 wrote:So after running "Automated Method", you had libcef_dll_wrapper.lib, libcef.dll and libcef.lib as output and then you just used visual studio to consume them in your MFC app?

Or did you build libcef_dll_wrapper.lib too using visual studio?

When I built using the "Automated Method" procedure, I got a file with the same structure as "Binary Distribution".
I expanded the compressed file, created a solution file using Cmake, and built "libcef_dll_wrapper.lib" using Visual Studio.

I agree with your idea that libc++ is the cause.
But I couldn't solve the problem.
naoki5
Expert

Postby linuxcef9 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:58 pm

Got it, thanks.

I have one more question:

When you created build using "MasterBuildQuickStart" method, you'd have libcef_dll_wrapper.lib generated by build process. Is the size of that same as the one generated by Visual Studio?
For me, it's 14MB and other is whopping 76 MB! Would it be possible for you to check the size?

THanks.
linuxcef9
Expert

Postby naoki5 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:28 pm

linuxcef9 wrote:When you created build using "MasterBuildQuickStart" method, you'd have libcef_dll_wrapper.lib generated by build process. Is the size of that same as the one generated by Visual Studio?
For me, it's 14MB and other is whopping 76 MB! Would it be possible for you to check the size?

I'm sorry, I deleted the failed data.
However, as you say, I remember that the file sizes were quite different.
naoki5
Expert

Postby linuxcef9 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:25 pm

naoki5 wrote:
linuxcef9 wrote:When you created build using "MasterBuildQuickStart" method, you'd have libcef_dll_wrapper.lib generated by build process. Is the size of that same as the one generated by Visual Studio?

I'm sorry, I deleted the failed data.
However, as you say, I remember that the file sizes were quite different.

No worries, thanks
linuxcef9
Expert

Postby linuxcef9 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:02 pm

Sorry one more question - did you build debug version of cef ? I tried 2-3 times, but it gets stuck at last stage, when ninja invokes lld-link.exe to create libcef_static.lib. I launched procmon and saw that the ninja process isn't doing anything.
linuxcef9
Expert

Postby naoki5 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:30 pm

linuxcef9 wrote:Sorry one more question - did you build debug version of cef ? I tried 2-3 times, but it gets stuck at last stage, when ninja invokes lld-link.exe to create libcef_static.lib. I launched procmon and saw that the ninja process isn't doing anything.

I built the release version.
If the release version was built successfully, I was planning to build the debug version, but I did not build after all.
naoki5
Expert

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:48 pm

magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby linuxcef9 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:20 pm

magreenblatt wrote:The debug build hang issue is https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/cef/issues/2679

Hi marshall,

Thanks for replying and linking the issue.

What happens if is_official_build=true is set? My current builds do not use that flag. The documentation just says 'is_official_build is used for chromium branding' (https://cs.chromium.org/chromium/buildt ... m&g=0&l=37) and cs.chromium.org shows that it creates optimized build. Is there anything else that is impacted by adding that extra flag in GN_DEFINES?

(Edit : With is_official_build=true, the debug/gn_x64 build succeeds but it's not a real debug build per se, as it uses /MT flags. When is_official_build=true, is_debug=false but I want a build with is_debug=true so that it uses /Mtd flag)

naoki5 wrote:I built the release version.
If the release version was built successfully, I was planning to build the debug version, but I did not build after all.

Okay thanks.
linuxcef9
Expert

Previous

Return to Support Forum