Building CEF with media codecs on macOS 10.14

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Building CEF with media codecs on macOS 10.14

Postby callum » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:15 pm

I am repeating the exercise of building Chromium/CEF with media codecs enabled for macOS 10.14 now. Via the master build wiki page (https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... QuickStart), it was straightforward to write a bash script that generates a working build. However, despite setting what I think are the right variables in my script, the version of cefclient.app that was generated did not support viewing proprietary media codecs or sites with h.264 streams like https://twitch.com. The call to automate-git.py looks like this:

Code: Select all
export GN_DEFINES=is_official_build=true proprietary_codecs=true ffmpeg_branding=Chrome
export CEF_ARCHIVE_FORMAT=tar.bz2

python ../automate/automate-git.py \
    --download-dir=/Users/callum/code/chromium_git \
    --depot-tools-dir=/Users/callum/code/depot_tools \
    --branch=3809 \
    --client-distrib \
    --x64-build

... follow up question from the master build page. Do I need to run the steps after automate-git.py that run "cef_create_projects.sh" then "ninja -C out/Release_GN_x64 cef" - that appears to happen as part of automate-git.py but sounds like it is required according to the wiki.
Can anyone tell me which piece of the puzzle I missed?
callum
Expert

Re: Building CEF with media codecs on macOS 10.14

Postby callum » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:24 pm

I should have looked before I posted but it seems like one has to quote the whole GN_DEFINES string. The example I saw also sets "export CEF_USE_GN=1" - is that still required? I'll try now but it takes over a day to build.

The second part of my question remains - is running automate-git.py sufficient or do I need the following steps too?
callum
Expert

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:30 pm

The automate-git.py script can run everything for you, depending on which command-line flags you pass. Running cef_create_projects or ninja manually is just a faster way to execute incremental builds during development (which is the focus for the MasterBuildQuickStart Wiki).
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:32 pm

Setting CEF_USE_GN=1 is not required for recent branches (last few years).
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby callum » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:37 pm

Got it on both counts - thank you. New build running now with quoted GN_DEFINES values.
callum
Expert

Return to Support Forum