CEF on Windows Server Core missing dxva2.dll

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Re: CEF on Windows Server Core missing dxva2.dll

Postby mzboray » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:46 pm

Thanks for your help. I was hoping it was just a configuration issue that could easily be resolved.
mzboray

Postby amaitland » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:42 pm

mzboray wrote:Thanks for your help on this.

I tried those flags, but the result was the same. I've noticed from the stack trace and some console logging that the error occurs before the call to the Cef.Initialize where the command line args are passed into CEF, so they probably aren't even having a chance to take effect. Here is the error with stack trace:

Exception:System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'CefSharp.Core.dll' or one of its dependencies. The specified module could not be found.
File name: 'CefSharp.Core.dll'
   at CefBasic.Program.Run(String args)
   at CefBasic.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\Users\mzboray\source\repos\CefBasic\CefBasic\Program.cs:line 29

I have some console logging right at the start of Run so I can tell it's not even entering the method. I realize now its failing at the stage where it actually loads CefSharp.Core not just failing when calling into Cef.Initialize(). I think there probably isn't a simple workaround with flags passed down to CEF.

I tried to screenshot chrome's gpu and version settings. The version page doesn't seem to load properly (or maybe its just delayed) and I didn't see much difference in the gpu settings between server core and windows 10, but I can keep at it and see if I can get more info on this.

Looking at the chromium source and it appears they are delay loading dxva2.dll
https://source.chromium.org/chromium/ch ... ium.org%2F

It's possible that if the dll is delay loaded then some command line flags to avoid the features that require dxva2.dll might be possible (totally untested)
Maintainer of the CefSharp project.
amaitland
Virtuoso

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:44 pm

It's possible that if the dll is delay loaded then some command line flags to avoid the features that require dxva2.dll might be possible (totally untested)

You would have to look at what functions dxva2.dll exports, and then search for those in the Chromium code to see where they're used.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby mzboray » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:41 pm

I'd like to help out and that would be an interesting thing to do, but I have to admit I'd be a neophyte C++ developer. It would probably take me a while to get up to speed.

However, I have found a way to install the missing components on server core operating systems. For any one else who might run into this issue, from powershell (as admin) run:

Add-WindowsCapability -Online -Name ServerCore.AppCompatibility~~~~0.0.1.0

This will require a restart. I tried this on Server Core 2016 and 2019. For more info see this article.

Anyway, thanks to both of you for your assistance.
mzboray

Previous

Return to Support Forum