Disable system font scaling affecting entire browser

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Disable system font scaling affecting entire browser

Postby Biohazard » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:25 pm

It turns out that Chromium started to scale the entire web contents according to the system font scaling value ('Make text bigger' in Windows 10).

It has previously been scaling according the DPI already, which is good, but the font scaling is a problem for me. I'm finding that my users expect only the text to scale and they don't have the screen space to deal with everything becoming super large (and that's really the point of text scaling vs DPI scaling). I'm unable to find any command line parameter to disable this behavior and I haven't had any luck finding the responsible code in the Chrome code base or even in general. The only Win32 APIs I can find respect the DPI only, I wasn't able to figure out how to read the font scaling value and compensate that way.

I know about --force-device-scale-factor=1, but this also disables DPI scaling which I want to keep.

Does anyone have any pointers for me at what to look out for or even a command line parameter that would allow me disable the effect system font scaling has on the content scale?
Biohazard
Techie

Re: Disable system font scaling affecting entire browser

Postby Biohazard » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:02 am

Just in case someone searches this forum for the same issue, I managed to find the culprit, it's in uwp_text_scale_factor.cc and it doesn't seem that it can be turned off from the outside so it needs to be removed manually.
Biohazard
Techie

Return to Support Forum