Usage for multi-browser CEF app

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Usage for multi-browser CEF app

Postby t1teddypark » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:32 am

I am quite new to CEF, and I have been seeing quite a bit of questions regarding using multiple browsers for a CEF app. But I am confused to what might the use case of such be? My understanding is that a CefBrowser is like a tab in a regular chrome browser, it display some webpage. In an app, don't you always only have one page that you are interacting with? Why are there so many people wanting to use multiple browsers?
Thanks!
t1teddypark

Re: Usage for multi-browser CEF app

Postby ndesktop » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:03 am

Different use cases.
Even if there is one page, there may be additional windows (multiview, multi-SDI, modal dialogs, printing etc.) that might need to use another CefBrowser for consistency purposes.
ndesktop
Master

Postby t1teddypark » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:44 pm

Thanks so much for your response! In the case of multi view, do you actually mean like actual different native OS windows? Or like different CefView fit within the same name native OS windows?
Could you explain further what you mean by consistency purposes?
t1teddypark

Postby ndesktop » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:58 am

For example, you have a HTML editor which uses browser to edit content. Then you can have a second window, also using browser, to actually display the content of the editor.
Or like some editors (notepad++ cross to my mind now) where you can open a file in a second view.

Also a comparator between items, left-right file managers a la Windows Commander or WinSCP etc.
There are quite a number of use cases.

Obviously one can use a single browser and split the browser into left/right with two DIVs with width 50%, but that will require nontrivial JS implementations, since now you don't have just "browser content with elements", but to distinguish between source and destination (D&D copy), inplace dual editors (for file comparisons).

Take TortoiseGit Diff feature, for example. You will probably want two separate browsers (three if you show also the merge) instead of a single one split in three.
ndesktop
Master

Return to Support Forum