How is MSVC version specified?

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

How is MSVC version specified?

Postby akhudairy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:55 am

I had successful debug build for branch 4147 and at the time I had MSVC version 14.27.29110 installed.

Then I wanted to do a release build after couple of months, and it looks a visual studio update remove version 14.27.29110, and installed 14.28.29333. Which started all kind of weird errors for me starting with
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\include\10.0.18362.0\ucrt\corecrt.h(10,10): fatal error: 'vcruntime.h' file not found

Which as a start I didn't know it is related to MSVC version, so I did stupid solution by copying files over to Windows Kits folder, and then I started getting the error
command line error MIDL1005 : cannot find C preprocessor cl.exe

Again I did some stupid solution by coping the cl.exe to the python folder (yes i know very stupid). so then I started getting errors like (lld-link: error: could not open 'delayimp.lib': no such file or directory) ... and in the error message I noticed this part (-libpath:C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.27.29110\ATLMFC\lib\x86) .... So now I removed the files that I copied manually before and made sure to download MSVC version 14.27 again using Visual Studio Installer. So far build is going fine :)

My question is, how is the version of MSVC is specified?
Is it only related to Windows Kits version?
Maybe the Master build documentation should be updated to mention this?
akhudairy
Techie

Re: How is MSVC version specified?

Postby magreenblatt » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:22 am

How are you building? Did you re-run cef_create_projects.bat after the MSVC version changed?
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Re: How is MSVC version specified?

Postby akhudairy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:48 am

magreenblatt wrote:How are you building? Did you re-run cef_create_projects.bat after the MSVC version changed?

No I didn't. I will try that. Because after waiting one hour I got a new error

../../chrome/elevation_service/service_main.cc(14,10): fatal error: 'atlsecurity.h' file not found
#include <atlsecurity.h>

I can see this file atlsecurity.h, is available in (14.28.29333) under VC\Tools\MSVC\14.28.29333\atlmfc\include, but it is NOT available in (14.27.29110)

Update 6 Jan 2021:
Thanks magreenblatt, I did as you said and went back to step 7 and it solved the issues in build. The instructions says that we usually should repeat step 8. Am not sure what happened on my pc and got the build to go wrong like this but I think there were some Visual Studio Updates!
I also noticed that this lib path is somehow managed in (setup_toolchain.py) but I wasn't sure who calls this file and when. Also checked the automated build instructions which has some steps for windows to set the lib path I think, but I didn't have to try that also as the build already worked for me. Thank you.
akhudairy
Techie

Return to Support Forum