After compiling Release x86, libcef.dll is too small (45MB)

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

After compiling Release x86, libcef.dll is too small (45MB)

Postby jaimeff » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:10 am

Compared with libcef.dll provided in the binary distribution (100+ MB), the result of compiling libcef and also libcef_dll_wrapper project (Windows 10 + Visual Studio 2019) is a 45 MB libcef.dll.
Additionally, this libcef.dll has dozens of dependencies with other dlls in the project (base.dll, absl.dll, boringssl, libperfetto, mojo_*, and many many others) , whereas the one provided in the binary distribution depends only on 1 library (chrome_elf.dll).

I guess that the library provided in the binary distribution has all those dependencies embedded, therefore the increased size.

In order to compile I have followed the steps defined at https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/cef/wiki/MasterBuildQuickStart.md
I'm compiling Release x86 on a Windows 10 x64, with Visual Studio 2019. Compilation was successfull.

How can I get the same libcef.dll provided in the binary distribution?

Best regards.
jaimeff

Re: After compiling Release x86, libcef.dll is too small (45

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:17 pm

You are creating a component build which is intended for local development and not for distribution. Use the AutomatedBuildSetup configuration to create distribution builds.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Re: After compiling Release x86, libcef.dll is too small (45

Postby jaimeff » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:32 am

Thank you, that did the trick. By adding these options to automate-git.py: "--minimal-distrib --client-distrib --x64-build --force-clean"
jaimeff

Return to Support Forum