Can't setup cefsimple to use version 2623 of CEF

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Can't setup cefsimple to use version 2623 of CEF

Postby linarcx » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:14 am

Hi. I want to build cefsimple for windows xp. Due to this page:
https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... ndBuilding
The latest version of CEF that supports windows xp is: 2623.

But there is no binary file of this version here:
https://cef-builds.spotifycdn.com/index.html

After a little searching, i found this repository:
https://github.com/cztomczak/cefpython/ ... dows32.zip

And extracted it in: third_party/cef directory.

I followd https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/cef-project/src/master/(Number 2 - Add your own project source code).
But as you can see in Step1, we should change the version number of CEF to: 3.2623.1401.gb90a

But all we know that this will fail.
My question is how setup my project to instead of trying to download the specifies version, use my pre-downloaded one that resides here: third_party/cef
Last edited by linarcx on Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
linarcx

Re: Can't setup cefsimple to use version 2623 of CEF

Postby HarmlessDave » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:01 pm

If you do need to build from source, the branches and building page in your first link explains how to build different branches, though you might run into issues with the current main script and depot tools being "too new."

Code: Select all
python /path/to/automate/automate-git.py --download-dir=/path/to/download --branch=2785

That "branch" command is telling the script which branch to check out, in your case it would be --branch=2623

----------------------

Using that zip: it looks like that is a usable binary distribution like from Spotify. Are you stuck on the steps where you build a Visual Studio solution file?

In a DOS / command prompt box you'd do something like this, changing the CEF and CMAKE folders to where they are on your PC:

cd c:\vs12\cef_binary_3
mkdir build
cd build
E:\cmake-3.1.2-win32-x86\bin\cmake -G "Visual Studio 12" ..
HarmlessDave
Expert

Postby linarcx » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:02 am

Thanks. I ran:
cmake -G "Visual Studio 12" -A Win32 ..

It generated a .sln file(with other necessary files to build in visualStudio)
Then build the solution in visual studio.

Everything seems right.
The final executable(cefsimple.exe) runs smoothly on windows 7. But it failed to run on Windows XP:
cefsimple.exe isn't a valid Win32 Applicaiton.

Also i tried to change "platform Toolset" to: Visual Studio 2013 - Windows XP (v120_xp)

But i get this warning:
Warning 1 warning LNK4221: This object file does not define any previously undefined public symbols, so it will not be used by any link operation that consumes this library D:\workspace\c++\projects\myproject\assets\cef\cef_binary_3.2623.1401.gb90a3be_windows32\build\libcef_dll\cef_string16.obj libcef_dll_wrapper

And these errors:
Error 2 error LNK1104: cannot open file '..\..\Release\cef_sandbox.lib' D:\workspace\c++\projects\myproject\assets\cef\cef_binary_3.2623.1401.gb90a3be_windows32\build\cefsimple\LINK cefsimple
Error 3 error LNK1104: cannot open file '..\..\Release\cef_sandbox.lib' D:\workspace\c++\projects\myproject\assets\cef\cef_binary_3.2623.1401.gb90a3be_windows32\build\cefclient\LINK cefclient
Last edited by linarcx on Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
linarcx

Postby ndesktop » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:03 am

This is the automate-git.py file I used to build 2623 (remove the .txt extension, .py is not allowed as attachment).
I'm not sure if it will still work for you as of today - you have to try it. There aren't many differences outside of newer ARM flags and options, though.
Attachments
automate-git-2623.py.txt
(56.5 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
ndesktop
Master

Postby linarcx » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:19 am

Thanks. I'll try it. But it'll be easier for me at this step to fix the current issue instead of building 2623.

I realized that there's no cef_sandbox.lib in Release folder of downloaded version. So i removed it from here:
cefsimple -> Properties -> Linker -> Input -> Additional dependencies, and tried to build the solution again. This time:
Error 1 error LNK1104: cannot open file 'cef_sandbox.lib' D:\workspace\c++\projects\myproject\assets\cef\cef_binary_3.2623.1401.gb90a3be_windows32\build\cefsimple\LINK cefsimple
linarcx

Postby linarcx » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:34 am

Oh! I found the solution. By disabling the sandboxing feature, finally cefsimple.exe runs on windwos XP. All you have to do is just passing -DUSE_SANDBOX=OFF to the CMake command-line.

But i'm curious to know that disabling this feature will affect the security of my application?
linarcx

Postby magreenblatt » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:07 am

You are running an old/insecure Chromium version on an old/insecure OS. Your application has no security, and there are many known and active exploits in the wild.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Return to Support Forum