Dynamically disabling GPU compositing?

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Dynamically disabling GPU compositing?

Postby FlorianSimon2 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:34 am

Hi!

I'm trying to upgrade our embedded Chromium from version 68 to version 90+.

On Windows 7, and without the Nvidia driver installed, I get empty windows and my application never renders anything. Disabling the GPU makes it work again.

I would like to avoid condemning our Windows 7 users for problems only people without a proper GPU experience. I would like to find a way to try enabling GPU support, seeing if everything works fine, and then disabling GPU support if it doesn't.

I get the message in the log saying that the GPU process failed to launch. ("browser_gpu_channel_host_factory.cc(154)] Failed to launch GPU process.")

The issue is that I don't know at which point I can hook myself into. I'll keep searching, but I'll be interested in knowing if anyone here has ever faced similar issues.

Regards,

Florian
FlorianSimon2

Re: Dynamically disabling GPU compositing?

Postby amaitland » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:48 pm

You'll have to close and restart the application to change any command line arg.

You could query windows to get a List of display adapters and make your decision based on that.
Maintainer of the CefSharp project.
amaitland
Virtuoso

Return to Support Forum